Buying a 76 cj7

hoobness

Hi there!

Been a while, sold my jeeps while back but now I'm considering another. Randomly found a 76 cj7 recently and the price is awesome assuming the seller is truthful. Says it will need full brakes, like everything but the pedal.
Haven't physically seen it, only in pictures but I hope to see it this weekend.

From what he says it's mostly stock original. 304, t15, amc 20, and whatever is up front. Not concerned since it's just gonna be a driver this time and will likely be disconnected.
Mainly looking for buying advice from those who know CJs. My last cj was a mess, a fun mess. Others may call it a money pit. Put a lot of work into it to have the 304 spin a rod bearing so I just sold it. It was fun, but ive become weary of the amc304. I'm convinced the straight 6 is the way to go. If I can find a deal on a 258 or 4.0 I may just swap it out but we'll see. Greatest thing about it is it's very easy to fix, and if I don't feel like fixing it I can sell it while broken and still come out on top. Try that with a new jeep lol jk.

Anyways just some knowledge from those who know CJs would be great. Links etc are awesome too, thanks again! Have a great day everyone!
Ryan

Last edited:

Just a few thoughts/opinions on the "76 CJ:
1.The disc brakes on the front of the 76s are different than the later models....just something to remember when ordering parts.
2.I always liked the 304....many think it's underpowered, but there are hi-pro parts available for it. I do prefer the 258,but I don't think I would bother swapping.
3.Be sure to check the frame or rust.
4.With no brakes you won't be able to test drive it, so you're really at the mercy of the seller....remember buyer beware. At that age of vehicle it's all about condition.
Good luck & let us know how it goes!

Well, like everything else that is old I would check the following. No particular order.

1. wiring, wiring, wiring (Is it a rats nest?) how many areas of electrical tape can you see?
2. Steering (Do you have a boat load of play in the steering) if so, prob need a steering box
3. Rust (check all over for bubbles) and be weary of diamond plate.
4. Is the oil brand new? I hate buying cars where they just changed the oil before showing it.
5. Pull a plug and inspect it. What color is it?

Thank guys!

Regarding the wiring, I know exactly what you mean! From the pictures it's as clean as 1976. It even has the stock AM radio, and no aftermarket gauges hanging under the dash that you commonly find in a 40 yr old vehicle which tells me behind the dash should just be the leads from the radio, speedo, the voltmeter, oil and whatever else was stock in 1976. Hope that's the case as my last CJ I had to gut the wiring and start fresh which took a while with minimal ROI.
Supposedly the only rust is the patina on the body. Claims the frame is surface but when I whack it with a hammer we shall see!
The steering is probably shot too, with my last CJ I replaced the shaft and bell thing with a shaft that had ujoints, and rebuilt the box. Not sure if a 76 has power steering. I know it doesn't have power brakes, which I plan to add.
I'm bringing my compression test kit this time too to hopefully warn me of any upcoming surprises.

Thanks again, and have a great day!
ryan

Back