Hesitating engine!

Joopin

Super Moderator

I was driving on the Parkway today and the engine (4.0) Hesitated for a split second... I noticed it, and kept driving. It happend again about 5 min. later, then again. I finally pulled over and I had some fuel injector cleaner, put it in and filled the tank. It ran fine for about 30 min. then it started happening again. I then got into some city driving and it didn't do it at all. Once I got back on the parkway it started again. I slowed down to 55 and it stopped, tried 60, nothing. So I kept it there hoping to get home 2 hours away. I made it home with minimal hesitation on the way home.
What could be causing this? Maybe the fuel filter? Thats what I'm hoping it is at least... any thoughts? Thanks.[addsig]

How old are your spark plug wires! Just had to replace them on my ford was doing the same thing and as time went on it got worse. Just a thought. Tug[addsig]

Give it a good tune-up, replace the spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and the fuel filter and see if that takes care of it. [addsig]

You said when you slowed down to 55-60mph it did not hesitate anymore. How fast were you going? If your RPM's were up aound 3500 or higher and you still have the stock distributer cap it will start to crossfire and cause hesitation. The diameter of the cap is so small that when you go fast it will not fire in order. I had the same problem and now i can hit high speeds with no hesitaion. I installed a juicebox which is a larger cap(from a Ford F-150) with an adapter and a higher voltage coil. Hope this helps.[addsig]

Sounds like you need to keep your jeep off the park-way :lol: [addsig]

Try unpluging your O2 sensor for a little bit to see if it improves the problem. It'll kill your gas mileage, but if it works better you might need a new O2 sensor.[addsig]

It hesitates at half throttle, I have a trip up to rochester next weekend and i have to get this fixed. I have a few ideas plus what you people have told me i am going to try this week. As for the O2 sensor I don't even know where that is... is it a big deal to change? Thanks for the help guys.[addsig]

Back