Do spring over lifts wear your springs out faster???

Craig

I've been thinking about doing a spring over lift at the end of this summer and have been told by a few people that it'll wear my springs out faster than normal. Is this true? I don't see what difference it'll make weather the spring is under or over the axle for wear and tear. I'd also like to know if I could get away with just lengthening my driveshaft temporarly until I can afford a slip yoke eliminator and cv driveshaft. I already have almost 3 inches lift so the spring over will bring it to 7 inches total. Will there be major vibrations? I'm planning on doing this at the end of summer because I don't do much offroading in the winter. I won't have to worry about binding the driveshaft with suspension travel over the winter. I'll get the sye kit at the end of winter.[addsig]

it can wear your springs faster due to the increase in flex you'll have, plus the increased chance of axle wrap... but they will last, especially if you have a 3" lift now... and that will bring you to about 8.5 inches of lift total. if you lengthen the driveshaft, when you flex, you might drive the shaft into your output on the Tcase becaust of the shortened distance between the axle and case. you will most likely notice some vibrations due to the steeper driveline angle.. i would suggest dropping the Tcase 1-1.5 inches in your case if you are not getting an sye right away[addsig]

It also wears springs out faster due to the increased leverage placed on the spring by moving the axle lower. An AAL or lift spring should last longer than stock springs alone.[addsig]

Back