Crazy trouble code mystery’s p0300 and p0344 and p0303

Joesmith

07 wrangler jk 3.8l
it all started with a p0301 code, misfire cylinder one so I replaced the spark plug for cylinder one then I got a P0303 code so I replaced all of the spark plugs and all of the spark plug wires.

The code then changed to a P0300 misfire in random cylinders. so I replaced the camshaft positioning sensor. The code went away for about a month and then I received a code P0344, camshaft positioning sensor circuit interruption.
and then that was soon followed by the misfire codes again.

any ideas of what could cause this?
and where I should go next for fixing it?

How-did the plug #1 look when you first replaced it?
With random moving codes always start by looking at your battery. Checked the battery voltage is 12.4 off and have it load tested. Then clean the connections to the battery in the battery terminals. Then clean the opposite ends of your grounds where they connect to both the engine and the chassis. Don’t forget to inspect the wires themselves for corrosion. Many times a bad wires, connections or a bad battery causes random codes.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

The plug looked old and a little dark, but not too terrible.
ah another symptom that has started with this is, random engine shuts off. Like I got to the top of a long hill near my house, when I crested the hill and stopped at the light, I stalled right in the middle of the street.
and it wasn’t like a jerky stall, I didn’t even know I had stalled until I went to hit the gas and nothing happened.

Were the other plugs the same or much cleaner?

Do you hear/feel the misfire?

If they are all the same id start by checking fuel pressure. Key on, at idle and at app 3k or above. Pressure should be constant and no bouncing or jumping.
The only other items are the ckp that is the crank shaft position sensor and the coil pack. The ckp works in conjunction with the cam sensor to set timing. The crank shaft sensors have been known to just fail and not set a code.
The coil packs also fail.

Any other codes or sets on a diagnostic reader?

Last edited:

So you have an older thread on this. I read through it.

There are internal issues that can cause misfires to get an idea without ripping it open you will need to do a compression test and leak down test.

So I changed the cam shaft sensor and the issue went away for about a month and now it’s back.
and I the Jeep randomly stalls at low RPMs.
like after I come to a stop after being on the gas.
like drove up a long hill and down the other side and when I came to a stop light, after a few seconds of sitting there the Jeep just shut off.
it didn’t jerk or sputter just quietly shut off.

i never hear a misfire or feel it at all.

where do I tie in to the fuel line on a 3.8l to check the fuel pressure?

You have to install a Schrader valve.

Check the connector to the TPS

Last edited:

Ok I can pick up one of those harbor freight kits, and some fuel hose.
should I do it like in the video, just crank the engine?
or should I start it and let it run while I check the pressure? Or both?

also, what is the fuel pressure supposed to be on a 3.8l v6 wrangler?

i read somewhere that I have to unplug the fuel pump and run the engine until it stalls to de pressurize the lines before I install this tester, is that true?

thanks for all your help so far dude

If you set it up like them use clamps to hold it on at each connection. Run the engine so there is fuel in the line. Test these conditions

Key on.
Engine ideling
Engine rpm - between 3000 - 5000 rpm

The needle should stay constant. No large bouncing.

Spec 58 psi +/- 2psi

PS you likely could borrow a fuel pressure gauge. It might not have those nice adapters.

Last edited:
Back