Jeep totalled

superj

The right hand drive wrangler we bought our son earlier this year is wrecked. He got sent to Cali for training to deploy to Kuwait and while he was gone, one of the other guys got his keys and took his jeep and rolled it down the mountain in Colorado.

And nothing is being done. The army told him tough, he should have taken his keys with him. They aren't doing anything to the soldier who did it and Jarrod won't file a police report because he do snt want the guy to get demoted and possible put out because the guys had kids.

IMG_0929.jpg

Oh Im so sorry to hear what happened to your son’s jeep. I hope no one was hurt.
Is the guy taking any responsibility? Long term repayment?

Is the frame and tub twisted? Maybe salvageable?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
The guy is doing nothing.

The problem is getting it home from fort Carson to corpus. Jarrod is still in Cali for training. This is the pic he was sent today so it might be gone by the time he gets back in a week. I imagine the apartment complex is going to tow it.

We can't leave till the 22nd to even head that way.

Consider a shipping company. There are some focused on military shipping.

Also if he is renting he should have parking rights. Would something different be done while he is deployed?

So sorry to hear...
The military in general doesn't seem to give a sh!t about what happens off base unless it involves an injury, alcohol or drugs.
I got sent away and my room mate impersonated me, had a locksmith break into my car and make him a new key so that he could drive my car around --- oh, that's because his truck got repossessed?!?!
The Navy said the same thing, we don't care... you can deal with the local authorities with the matter.

That's my only advice. If you have proof that they did it then get a lawyer (if need be) but absolutely go to the local police and get a police report filed immediately. Get them documented for the crime and then maybe when they are prosecuted in civil court the military will then take it seriously on their end and punish them in accordance with the UCMJ.

I don’t know the back story or what will happen. But, You know I was not going to say anything cause it’s your sons decision. And still is.
Prosecute or sue for damaged.
People take advantage of others all the time. If he lets this go, that guy will do more. Then others will all line up to take advantage of your son.
I get it, your son is kind and is thinking of that guys kids. Well at least your boy thought of them. That guy should be thinking of his kids before steeling your son’s jeep. And he should have thought of his kids before doing something to roll the jeep. Hopefully they were not in it when it rolled.

Nothing is free.

Last edited:
if he is renting he should have parking rights

Many apartment complexes have strict rules for parking which includes no inoperable vehicles. I had a friend that lived in an apartment and he wasn't even allowed to check his oil on that property.

I keep telling him to call the cops but he won't. It's a waste. It makes me very angry but it seems he won't listen.

I am hoping it's still there when we go up next week so I can get a U-Haul trailer to bring it home. I will put it in the yard and tinker with it after we do the head gasket on my older son's car.

I hope the engine still runs, at least. I know something looks broken on the front with the wheels pointing different ways but maybe it's just the end links. I am hoping just the bolt on parts are messed up and I can get it back to useable.

We will see

A police report is just that, police report.

I agree with others - file a police report and an insurance claim.
Having your son tell them that the thief was authorized to use the Jeep should allow him to file an insurance claim (I'm assuming that it has full coverage). Maybe just go at it from the angle of an authorized driver wrecked the Jeep.

I couldn't imagine wheeling someone else's daily driver. I don't think I've ever been out and not come back with some new scratch or dent. That guy must have really not cared.

i agree, terry. i would never either but it sure seems the person didn't care at all. i got him to agree to file so we can try and get her fixed through the insurance. i made him get full coverage on it when he took it so at least it has that. i am going up Tuesday to see him for thanksgiving and will pull it home on a uhaul for the insurance to come look over. i told him i would rather it be done in corpus so we can make any appointments that need to be done because his squad and platoon leaders told him tough crap about it and he would not be allowed leave to deal with anything. i might go talk to his 1st sergeant or commander when i am up there about those two NCOs he has but i have to see how this plays out because i don't want to make his time in that unit more rough than it is already since they are deploying in January, it sounds like.

… because his squad and platoon leaders told him tough crap about it and he would not be allowed leave to deal with anything. i might go talk to his 1st sergeant or commander when i am up there about those two NCOs he has but i have to see how this plays out because i don't want to make his time in that unit more rough than it is already since they are deploying in January, it sounds like.

Dad! With all due respect. I wouldn’t get involved. I don’t think any good will come of it.
Image1637199082.827999.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up -

Attachments

• Image1637198558.398322.jpg
    Image1637198558.398322.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
that's why i am holding. i just don't want trouble for him because i know how the military is. my time in and than working for the army as a civilian for 20 years, i know exactly how the military is

Well, leaving to pick up the Wrangler and spend Thanksgiving in colorado springs, tuesday. Pulling a 20' flatbed up to load her up on

We will drop the Wrangler and trailer on base at the barracks so we can spend time visiting places and doing things with my son and hook it up to head home Sunday morning.

My son said now that he has seen the jeep in person, he thinks it's not that bad and will be back from the shop in time for Christmas. We will see and I hope so because we will bring the jeep to Leakey so my son can take it back to Colorado and have his Wrangler again.

Safe journey and
Happy Thanksgiving!

Maybe a wild stab but, there are a lot of YouTube channels where guys buy wrecked Jeeps and trucks and rebuild them as projects on there channel. A lot of them are in California. You may find that helpful.

Jarrod finally got to see his jeep in person and it sounds like it could be fixed fairly easily and cheaply if he hadnt already alerted Geico.

He said it needs the windshield frame, windshield, driver door window, fenders, radiator, battery, and some parts under the front end that sound suspiciously like an end link.

And he hasn't tried starting it so we will check it out when I get there.

If it looks like very little to get back on the road, I might just get the parts from fnj jeeps there in Colorado springs and let him and his buddies put it together at the autocraft shop on base. If the engine is good, I mean.

Wednesday, I hope to get there early enough to see it before the sun goes down. Other wise we will check it out Thanksgiving day sometime.

Anyways, I will keep y'all updated.

Back