Doors springing open...

Jagered

Wondering what y'all have done with the doors wanting to spring back open... we almost have to slam the doors to get them to latch and stay shut, otherwise they with latch but spring open far enough to give the idiot light and looked cracked open. It's annoying to say the least.

I've looked all I can to see what could possibly be doing it.
I also upgraded the rusted steel bushing to some brass ones (it sprung open before and after).

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary stress added to the hinges.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Have you verified nothing is caught in the door hinge area?
Have you ever messed with the hinges or weather strip?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Never messed with them other than the brass bushings... but it did it before.

I did notice this morning the molding is in the door channel and is pressing against it. The top corner piece with the mic... I'm jave to play with that to see if there is anything that can be done.

Here.. 20220116_125222.jpeg

I think you found it. The top pillar cover is in the door channel. That might even end up bending the door over time.
Not sure about the top doorframe. Usually the parts line up to near seamless appearance.

Is the oh crap handle in the way?

Looking at other pics on the web you have one piece of the plastic pillar molding in an area it should be in. And it looks marked due to pinching or rubbing…
If that is not it look at other items that may be getting caught when the door closes.

Ugh... loosened it up but quickly realized it won't do any good.
There is no where for the molding to go. The bottom piece is under the top piece and neither have much give to seem to go under the frame lip... can someone post a pic of theirs? ... that would answer this once and for all if they are on wrong or not but it does 'look' off.20220122_153320.jpeg

Besides that top corner is anything else getting pinched in the door jamb?
You might note when any resistance starts as you close the door.

Besides that top corner is anything else getting pinched in the door jamb?
You might note when any resistance starts as you close the door.

Absolutely nothing is noticeably in the track, other than that molding piece... but I have looked at different videos on line and they are all installed the same way.
My only other thought is were the hinges sprung outward somehow? I can't completely remember when I took the doors off for the hinge bushings if they had a limit stop or not... if they did, previous owner may have unintentionally forced it past that point some how??? Weird that it is BOTH front doors...

It could just be the door gasket. My son's 04 tj is the same way. You have to slam the doors or they want to push out. But the opposite is that you have a ton of wind noise and drafts.

My son said he is tired of his since he got stationed in Colorado and it's been so cold and snowy. He wants a regular vehicle so he can be warm when he drives. I told him we will take that jeep back and he can get something else. The tj is such an upgrade from a cj or yj

Wow that’s hard to believe. I’ve have full hard doors and 1/2 doors on multiple jeeps and I’ve always had my heater work so well it’s so hot you have to turn it back. Maybe the heater core is blocked or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

It could just be the door gasket. My son's 04 tj is the same way. You have to slam the doors or they want to push out. But the opposite is that you have a ton of wind noise and drafts.

My son said he is tired of his since he got stationed in Colorado and it's been so cold and snowy. He wants a regular vehicle so he can be warm when he drives. I told him we will take that jeep back and he can get something else. The tj is such an upgrade from a cj or yj

FWIW
I have a soft top and lived most of my life in the Pocono region. I thought the same. The jeep soft top is colder and looses heat faster than a normal car. So on a 10 deg day I ran both heating the inside as hot as it could get them, then shut the engine off. I measured the time it took to get to back to freezing while sitting inside.
They were both about the same time give or take 5 min.
If the heater is working properly it should keep the cabin toasty warm. If it seals properly it should blow the windows outward away from the frame. Esp when driving.
Open a window while driving and they suck to the frame.
EDIT: the engine should reach operating temp within 2 mi driving ~35 mph.
When it takes 5 or more I find my thermo has failed open.
FWIW

Last edited:
Also didn’t think if the latch was moved in to a too taught point. Basically the door should be in the same plain as the panel in front of and behind the door.
I would think if the doors were forced forward the tub would bend before the hinge.
I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for pics and info... I will try inpecting seals and maybe remove, try shutting and see what it feels like.

Can't the heater core be flushed? Mine's weird in that I recirc the air to try and heat it up faster but then after driving and switching to fresh air it actually feels much hotter.

Cheers!

Back