Steering Column Swap--Waggy-CJ

Well folks, it is that time of year: the time when I enjoy pausing during my yard chores to enjoy the sight and sound of flocks of Canada geese winging their way south toward the Chesapeake Bay.

image-missing.png

The Canada geese also signal the approach of winter and some free time to do "Bubbacon" projects.

An over-winter project I have in mind is to swap an late 80s or early 90s Wagoneer tilt-steering column into the CJ. I would enjoy the tilt feature and having the windshield wiper control on the turn signal stalk will allow removal of the existing dash-mounted windshield wiper control switch. The newly opened dash hole would soon be reoccupied by a pull-and-twist-to-lock hand throttle control.

I have seen vague references to the Waggy-CJ tilt-steering column swap on the web Jeep BBs. Unfortunately, there were never any details. My efforts at searching the web for detailed information regarding this mod have proved totally unfruitful.

So I turn to you...

Anyone done this swap?

If so, what year Waggy would best serve as a "donor"?

What mechanical installation and column mounting challenges would need to be overcome?

I am led to believe the column electrical wiring would not be a major issue. The electrical connector block at the bottom of that era Waggy column will supposedly mate with the existing CJ plug. That will take care of ignition, turn signal and horn circuitry. Is that true?

(I realize that does not include the windshield wiper wiring, but I can work my way through that challenge.)

Any thoughts, information or experiences related to this mod would be welcomed.

Any "you really are a crazy old Jeeper dude" posts will be good-naturedly tolerated.

:wink:

As always...Thank you.

Gadget

Hey Gadget, Brother n law just put both geese and duck in the freezer this week. I use to see them big ol geese as a sure sign of fall now I see em as a great meal. If you have never had goose it is some of the best eating in the world if it is fixed right.

Far as the swap good luck sounds like a real plan. Think I ran upon a post some where where they used a Chevy S-10 for a donor in a projest much the same as your doing. I will search for that one as I get time. Tug

I'm going to miss my jeep

Hey Tug!

LMAO about the eating of the geese, but you are right: they do make a good meal. To date, however, I have had no success shooting at the geese with my lawnmower.

A Christmas goose meal rule that I grew up with, though: If one eats a bit of male goose then one should eat a bit of female goose. The basis of that rule is of course, (Are you ready for this?) "What is good for the goose is good for the gander."

I can hear the g-r-o-a-n-i-n-g from here. (GRIN)

Sorry...The Devil made me say that.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and any future info regarding a column swap that would accomplish both objectives would be welcome. I am not locked into using a Waggy column. That just happened to be something I stumbled upon during my web wanderings.

Regards,

Gadget

PS: Although difficult to find hereabouts: A capon is also near the top of my fowl eating choices.

Darn! Now I am going to have to make a sandwich!

I'm not sure about the wiring hooking up correctly for the ignition swith. I just switched out my ignition switch on my `79 CJ-7 with no tilt, and during that adventure I learned that there are two different switched available, one for the tilt and one for the non tilt wheels. Looks like they are configured differently. That's about all I can offer! Good luck and I will be watching this cause I think I might do the same.

Hello ndnatty,

Natty, I was unaware of possible differences between tilt and non-tilt column mounted ignition switches. Thank you for pointing out that possible complication.

Also, I didn't mention in my starting post that there are supposedly mechanical differences at the steering column to steering shaft coupler between power steering and manual CJ-7 steering columns. I am guessing -- and I do mean guessing -- that difference won't be a big problem because the Bubbacon has power steering. I would also guess that most late 80s through early 90s era Waggys would also have had power steering. We shall see.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Gadget

BATMAN - DEADEND

Not to knock your idea, but mainly curious. I can't understand why one would want to add probably the worst piece GM ever installed during the eighties in your CJ?? Those turn signal switches are horrible in quality and sound like they are going to break just to get them in position.

I had a Tilt in my 86 which I miss badly (the tilt NOT the jeep). The Jeep drove me Batsh*t.(LONG STORY)

Sorry to be so harsh, but being a car nut the eighties GM products were vuuury sad. And of course Jeep shacked up with them. The old CJ style is made like the older GM switch which last damn near forever.

I guess the use of the empty hole would nice but easily added anywhere.

Hello Keith,

Thanks for your post. BTW...I don't see any harshness in your reply. It came across to me as straight from the shoulder, guy-to-guy talk. There is nothing wrong with that.

Now...as regards steering column quality: not to be argumentative, but I have owned a long -- way too long -- string of vehicles, many of which were GM products. Of all those vehicles, the one and only turn signal mechanism that ever failed me was in a 1982 Jeep, CJ-7: a jeep with the old-style non-tilt steering column.

Go figure on these things.

If you know of a more suitable donor tilt-steering column candidate, by all means post that info here. As I mentioned above, the Waggy column was someone else's idea of a good swap and my thinking (typing) aloud. The Waggy column idea is not inscribed in stone.

The hand throttle placement is indeed of no great importance. I have also thought of mounting it on the shift lever.

Again, thanks for posting. Everyone's ideas are valuable and will be stirred into the mix.

Regards,

Gadget

When I come to a stop my engine revs to 1000-2000 rpms

Cool cool!! You know there are no eyebrows on the net, so can't tell someones mood. :lol:

My thoughts are from experience also mainly replacing them for people. The main problem I experienced is the wiper switch part. The CJ system is 20+ bucks and is installed in a couple minutes. But as you have experienced they aren't ALL that bad. So it's not some huge ordeal or CJ susicide to add it in. More of a personal excuse why I won't own a YJ again. Yank that steering column and gauge package, and I'd have one in a heart beat. Except my wife would string me up cause I wouldn't get rid of my CJ. One jeep is enough on a realationship but two??.........Eeeeeeeeeee!!!! They sure ride nicer then mine.

Just my opinion, I would stick with what works and is a easy swap (CJ tilt). And I am WAY partial to the throttle on the shifter. I would do that reguardless. As far as another donner, I can't think of one. Unless your gagetness is capable of fabing in a tilt/telescope one. Then I will sign up to be the next in line. :D :D

hey this is a new guy again; I am real interested in this swappin thing with the steering columns. I just bought a 1980 CJ7 and a tilt would be nice. Keep up the good work guys i really injoy finding out things on this site.........thanks

Hello ybnorml,

First, welcome to jeepz.com. I hope your time here will be enjoyable and personally rewarding.

The easiest way to get tilt-steering in your CJ would be to find an original tilt-steering column from a CJ.

I inquired about the Waggy column swap because I know from experience that the chances of finding a CJ tilt-column in a salvage yard were I live are numerically equivalent to winning the NY State LOTTO. It could happen -- but not likely.

I asked for an online price quote from a yard in California (acres of Jeeps). The price was well over $300.00, before shipping. Not going to happen.

I have tracked several e-Bay auctions of CJ tilt columns. The end price was always $200.00, plus. Of course, there are no guarantees....acutally, no nothing. I like e-bay, but the reality is that e-bay protections are almost entirely geared toward the seller. Since e-bay makes money from the seller, not the buyer, that slant is no real surprise.

So, the Waggy column idea was a way to possibly get around the non-availability and/or exhorbitant prices of OEM CJ tilt-columns.

Perhaps the availability situation is different where you live. There is no question that if an OEM CJ tilt-column is available at a resonable price, that is the way to go.

Regards,

Gadget

[EDIT] LMAO @ myself. Just reread the third paragraph, above. Honest, folks. I really do not live in a salvage yard, regardless of what I typed earlier.

:mrgreen:

Back