no more gear grinding!!!!!!!!

1981CJ5

This past weekend I drained my transmission and refilled with Pennzoil Syncromesh, then I checked my clutch. After adjusting the clutch a hair, I took her on a test run. Not one grind the whole time. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. I am new to jeeps and still learning how to work on everything, but in time it will all come together.

Pennzoil Syncromesh now that is the stuff aint it. If it would do for me what it does for a transmission I would drink it daily. By the way what transmission do you have. Tug

i live by the stuff... tug, go ahead... i take an 8 ouce glass every morning before work.. helps with the knees and back

Tug, I have the T176 with a Dana 300 T-case. The jeep is all original and still running like a top. Have a couple of small oil leaks, but I am chasing those down this weekend.

So which fixed it, the fluid change or the clutch adjustment?

I'm not sold that the Penzoil Synchromesh is the right fluid for your transmission. The PS is a remedy for bad synchros in Japanese trannies used from '89 on, the AisinWarner AX5 and AX15. These trannies need a fluid that's not corrosive to the soft brass synchonizers as the recommended GL5 was.

The PS may be too thin for your transmission, and not needed. I'd check into a synthetic 90W.

PS will provide more than simple relief of worn synchros... don't ask me how it works, but it aids in the mating of two contact points with limited corrosion

Back