Dana 44 front axle swap

jackd0503

I managed to score a bare rubicon front dana 44 housing. Just wondering what parts, if any I can swap over from the dana 30, and is this just a simple remove and replace or am I overlooking some inherent flaw? Thanks for any help you can give.

hmm..i didnt know that the ruby came with a 44 front.i know they had a 44 rearend tho.. but i am gussing that you wont be able to use anything from the 30.. my full size dana 44( out of a 3\4 ford) shares absolutly nothing in coomon with my dana 30.

ohhhh a rubi front D44 there grrrrrreat, u can use the knuckles thats about it, where did u get it from? E-bay? i seen a few for sale but there too much for my student wallet, plus its cheaper to but a 44 off some full size truck and get mounts welded on

Where did these Rubi D44 axles come from? Are there that many people rolling or wrecking their Rubicons that they are parting them out? Hasn't the Rubi only been out for a year or two?

Or...are they Hot?

Double check before using, but I'd bet just about everything besides the housing and differential is the same as the TJ D30. Probably the same axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, rotors, calipers, etc. Jeep doesn't like to sway too far from effeciency.

What's the story with the rubi dana 44. I've heard some people say they're not worth it. Am I wasting my time (and money) or is this axle really worth it?

Most Jeepers I know have no problem running up to 35" tires on the stock D30. The TJ D30 uses the same size axle ujoint as the D44 (297x) so there is no strength increase there.

You need to decide if you run your jeep hard enough that you have the need for a stronger/larger ring and pinion, and decide if that need justifies the expense.

I guess I phrased my question a little off. What I meant was that I've heard that the rubicon dana 44 isa mix and match ofdana 30 and 44 parts and is not as strong as a "regular" dana 44. Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with this. I plan on running 36's so I figure a dana 44 is a good idea.

Back