front axle air connector

TwistedCU

The rubber connector on my front axle (to engage axle in 4wd) was disconnected. It may have been this way for as much as 3 weeks. It's been pretty wet around here and just wondering if there is anything I should worry about or need to do. I know I haven't used 4wd since it has been this way, because the shortly after the last time I used 4wd, I was under there with a hose cleaning stuff off and it was connected.

I'm going to put a small zip tie on both sides to prevent this from happening again!

Hi,

You might need to remove the vacuum motor and make sure it is dry. Otherwise it is possible the rubber diaphrams might not work right.

But before you even do that, you might consider doing the manual cable conversion as described at this link: http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/cabledis.htm (Yes, I actually found the link this time :p). It takes like 25 minuets to do and is very inexpensive. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Nick, I assume that's a Cherokee? It looks completely different from my YJ. That looks like a great mod, for many reasons. I'd like to do it, but I don't think I could get to it until spring. I just want to make sure everything is ok before I use 4wd again.

It should be fine, just try engaging 4wd now and make sure the front axle engages. If it doesn't, you'll need to remove the vacuum shift motor from the front axle and work the shift fork manually while spraying WD40 into the vacuum ports.

Yes I believe that one is on a cherokee... it does look like one.
I thought some wranglers had that same setup?

-Nick :!:

My New Years Eve Jeep Adventure

Nick - It definately is a different setup, but modifying it would probably be pretty similar and that page gives enough info that I get the idea and could figure the rest out. That is definately on the list of mods for spring.

All - The light comes on when I put it in 4wd, and it does not come on when it is unplugged(if that means anything).
I tested the 4wd and it seems ok. I put her in 4wd and the front wheels hopped when cutting a sharp turn. Is that enought to be sure or should I test it another way? If I'm wrong could I damage the front axle?

Bounty__Hunter said:
Sounds like your 4wd is working fine.

The XJ and YJ vacuum disconnects are basically the same.

Good deal.

The guts might be the same but the outside sure looks different

My YJ:

YJVacuumJPG-3.jpg

XJ:

xjvacuum-3.jpg

They are pretty similar, except the vacuum nipples on mine are side by side and there's a bolt coming out of the motor housing. I've never opened one of these up, so I have no idea whether or not these make a difference.

Note the fresh coolant. My radiator drain plug popped out of it's hole this morning as I arrived at work. Made for a nice morning.

Back