piratessoul is offline Member

4 cylinder to 6 cylinder swap

Is it an easy swap from a 2.5L to a 4.0L?

If my four banger ever goes I may want to upgrade to a six.

jfrabat is offline Senior Member

Re: 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder swap

This one I've seen a million times... OK, if you are going to do an engine swap, you might as well go for somether better than the 4.0L (think V6 or V8 engine). Basically it will be just as complicated, so it is not worth it to put a 4.0L: you are better off selling hte 2.5L Jeep and buying a new 4.0L.

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

What he said. Not an easy bolt-in swap, the motor mount perches need cut from the frame and new ones welded in place. Then there's all the wiring involved. Go with a better drivetrain so you have something better than another run of the mill 4.0L jeep with a hacked up install.

Saddle Tramp is offline Senior Member

In general, if you want the 4.0 (which is a great low end torque motor) sell the 4 banger and buy the I6. It will most likely be cheaper and better. As BH said, if you are going to replace the 4 banger think V8.

Thank's for all the replies. If it comes down to it I'll probably keep the one I have and buy a second Jeep with a six cylinder. I really like those motors.

jfrabat is offline Senior Member

Just a thought, but dont put down the I4 so easily... That engine can also be built to put out quite a bit of power. Check out http://4bangerjp.com/ for some ideas (you have YJMechanic's build, which is a normally aspirated engine that puts out almost the same power as the I6, there's also Rob's and Sean's turbo builds, and Sharpxmen's custom supercharged build as some examples) on how to make some more power with your I4...

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

Sine Deviance is offline Senior Member

Yeah, like jfrabat said, don't dismiss the I4 so quickly. I have one and I've found that you can get a lot more power out of it for very little money.

I swapped in a 4.0L TB and made myself an intake with a cone filter. I spent about $100 total for all the parts and tools to do these two mods. After doing them, my throttle response got a lot better and there is a noticeable improvement in available power.

That's not even mentioning the FoMoCo injector and e-fan swaps, which will both cost me about another $100 for everything, but will give me an even more noticeable performance increase.
    '95 Wrangler Rio Grande - 2.5L 5-speed - 2" Black Diamond Lift - Carr Rota Lightbar - 4x PIAA Daylighters - Cragar 397 Series Soft 8's - 31" BFG A/T's - 4.0L Throttle Body - 3" Custom Intake w/ Speed by Spectre Conical Filter

I won't be giving up too, soon. I had a Cherokee with the four-banger (I love that term) and it gave me years of great service. That little engine never gave up. The only reason it's not running now is that my Dad (who is a little too, old and a lot too, forgetful) misplaced a lot of parts in an attempt to change the water pump.

VinMan is offline Junior Member

bmp

wrangler76 is offline Member

Output is only one factor... the 2.5l is significantly lighter in weight while the 4.0l is comperable to a custom SBC or Ford. I have always had good luck with the reliability of the 4.0l. I have toyed with the idea of doing a 302/351 swap though.