360???

booher

I have a 1979 cj7 with a 360 in it. It was in it when I got it and I dont know where or what the motor came out of. Any suggestions on finding out the year of this motor and or what it came out of???

The reason I want to know is....it was parked about three years ago and ran good when it was parked. I'm looking to do a restoration job on the jeep and would like to rebuild the motor and start from there. And if you ask me, its a pretty good start since I have a solid frame and a bad ass motor.

Well, in '79 Jeep was still in the AMC stable.

AMC's small block family was :
290 - 304 - 360

Now lots of folks think the Chevy 350 is a superior motor because :

>GM made about 122 Billion of em so the wrecking yards are brimmin with 'em

>Because there are so many, new parts are easy to find and cheap

>Lots of performance mods are avail and speed parts too are cheap and easy to find

>Good strong durable long lasting motor.

>Advanced Adapeter has a catalog to tell you what you need to swap a 350 into a CJ with little or no sweat

(I'm personally thinking of yanking my 304 & stuffing a 350 in it's place...that is IF it will bolt up to my TH400)

So if you are going to rebuild anyway, mayhaps a 350 will make yer ride more of a beast to your liking...

Oh, yes. someone mentioned the Mopar 360.

Chrysler bought Jeep in 1987. Chrysler has a 360 V8, however, the Chrysler, or, Mopar 360V8 NEVER came off the assembly line in a Jeep.

Like I said, AMC/Jeep had a 360V8 of thier own.

Ok, but can anyone tell me how I can find out the year of the motor???

I do appreciate all the help!!

you can find out the year, from the serial number off of the block. [probably on the left/drivers/side- front.......

i own a 1979 j10 pick up and it has a 360 in it so it might of came out of a j10 ... just a though[addsig]

more than likely it came out of an older full size jeep such as the Wagoneer, J10 and so on.[addsig]

Do you have a metal tag on the valve cover? I know if they are chrome add ons the chances are slim. Those numbers tell you everything about your motors size, build date, etc. AMC put the 360 in Wagoneers, Cherokees, and trucks. It's a drop in motor for a CJ with no bellhousing changes.[addsig]

Back