79cj 7

Aaron S

Looking for some advice. I'm kicking around the idea of trying to find some wide track axles to replace the narrow track. I'm hoping to get some better drive ability around town. the jeep just doesn't handle the way I think it is capable of. I have recently replaced ball joints, all bushings, tie rods, steering gear box, shocks, tires, ect. the old ball joints were real tight (rusty). it did not want to return to center after turning, it also acts like it wants to follow the ruts in the road, changing lanes it wants to keep going the direction you point it. It now try's to return to center a little but not totally. I haven't had time yet to go back in and try to loosen up the pre load a small amount to see if it would help. I don't know if I'm thinking of this the correct way by getting wider axles or not. Maybe some of this is the nature of the beast, but I'm not quite ready to except that yet. This is my first jeep and I've only had it about a year & a half. It is/was a basket case, but it's slowly coming around. The jeep has 31x10.5 tires, NO lift. The alignment was checked before changing the ball joints.
Thanks, Aaron

x2 on alignment after the new ball joints, sucks but has to be done. Let us know if it still does it.

I'll agree with the other posts about alignment and also say tires can cause you some driving issues also. I had a set of mudders on a truck years ago and it would hunt every crack in the road and try to follow it. Those tires were awesome offroad but were awful on road. If everythings right it will drive fine. What tire are you running?

I've never run them, are they an all terrain tire? I was thinking if you had a pure mud type tire that'd be where your problem came from.

The alignment is a step in the right direction, but what sort of lift and/or shackles do you have? Most of the problems you are describing can stem from zero or negative caster angle. If you have a suspension lift and/or lifted shackles this will impact your caster angle.

As for a wide track upgrade, it will make your rig a little more stable as for side to side (rollover) but its not likely to do a lot for handling.

alignment, caster may be outta whack too which is fixed but w shackles can be adjusted. Shackle reversal is another option, give a better ride too

Keep your shackles stock length. You can not adjust alignment with shackles, longer shackles throws your caster off.

Back