81 CJU7 Fuel injection install underway

I was waiting for the golden scepter, but being a jeep knight is awesome. This would have gone much easier if the previous owners would have thought just a little on the mess they were making. I have so many wires hanging out from the dash I was afraid to drive it because it was going to catch fire. Stereo doesn't work now. must have dislodged the wires. Easy fix. I can trace the power wires from the back of the radio and give them a proper connection. Was having some problems with it running rough. Had a dead plug. well maybe not dead but not working right. decided to waste some money and bought some bosch plugs. runs great. no smell of gas. no bad exhaust. peels out really nice on the dirt and I even get a nice tiny squeak on the pavement. loads of power. Have not tried to see how fast it will go but cruises up to 65 then I shift into 5th.
So if any one else wants to go for the Ford tfi duraspark howell kit. Show them my way. I got this puppy figured out. Still got to finish the manifold heater though.

Oh by the way. The wife is simply amazed at how it drives now.

Ok I'll admit, The wires to the stereo weren't dislodged. Have any of you seen the Three Stooges episode where Curly was pulling wire out of a conduit and before he was finished he had wire pilled up about waist high. That's how it was after I pulled the dash. Which required me to pull the safari rack off and the top so I could drop the windshield to get to the screws. My shop and the area around it looks like a jeep exploded.
And ladies and gentlemen this was not accomplished by myself alone. Greg and policemonkey161 set me on a good foundation in the beginning of the project. My hat is off to them. And to my wife who didn't complain that I was not working fast enough and gave a hand when she could. Most of the time that hand was pointing to the jeep and asking what my next plan was going to be but she held the multimeter and cycled the key when I said " OK now try". And when I said ouch she turned it off without me having to tell her.
Jim

You've got a great assistant . I'd say marry her but you did that ! But your second wife and her second husband , the jeep , is crying for its quality time and an extreme make over from the inside . Man , I'd sure like to ask who had the idea of working under the dash of a vintage vehicle without a diagram ! Such a mess could only come from more than two hands , you did the best thing and took this jeep away from them ! Hoping your in possession of a proper diagram of under the dash , not sure if you are . I know under the hood , the engine harness may still have some issues although you tackled many. But a starting system , ignition system and running fuel system is good until you can literally trace from the firewall bulkhead and fuse box to each location and that all wires are present and discifer what wires don't belong properly rewire any extra such as accessories not stock if need be. I know you want to get all working and I agree ,
pit seams wiring is the job now. Hoping that starting from the fuse box and both sides of the bulkhead that all original wires are still there , even if some where cut , it will help to find them on a diagram and run new lines. I know you are already doing that , just hoping that nothing missing alltogher as that makes it difficult , as you well know. Thanks for posting your every move in your progress as it certainly helps us research . Thanks again , greg

I had made a new post to announce this but wanted to make sure all those that helped me get a notice if they are subscribed to the thread. The son of a gun passed smog. It went from 3 didgit and a decimal place to single didit numbers on every reading.

Hey Jim , that is fantastic news ! I'll bet the misses and your son are throwing a party for newest member to the family that has finally behaved itself and earned its keep ! Well I appreciate the thanks even though your the guy who slaved over a hot jeep for so long and I began feeling like I needed to take a crash course in CJ tech as I literally began to draw blanks . It's one thing for me to recall my jeep experience from my old '78 cherokee and any experience I ever had with AMC & Ford that will come in hand on a CJ but some of the work began to out grow me and the only way I could be of service was the same way you were on this project is to get your hands dirty on it.
I was more than happy to be of service where I was but I just felt I should let someone with more CJ experience tackle some of the fine things and I would have had to literally research so much more than I was already refreshing then. I'm happy all worked out to your expectations and now the jeep can be enjoyed by you and the misses , if she ever finds time to let you take it out as I know she will now be enjoying to the fullest her new jeep ! Kind of figured she would , she loves your Mustang ! Beast of luck and looking forward to more posts of your jeep and all your e veering that got it where it is today , your pride and joy and an accomplishment to be very proud of ! Greg

P.S. - my thanks as well to all the members who helped Jim on his ( and hers ) project .

Back