87 wagoneer. transmission.

superspud87

i have an 87 jeep wagoneer with the 4.0 and 5spd manual. i was doing routine maintenance and checking fluids and such when i got to the transmission. i found the fill plug and the drain plug on the actual transmission, but i cant get them off. i do not have the right tool. i need a metric drive between 1/4" and 3/8". i went to autozone and told them about it and they didnt believe me, until they actually looked and they had no idea.

any help is much appreciated

Torx or allen key style? Mine was a 3/8 drive ratchet size hole.

its a square hole, but my 3/8" ratchet is too big and my 1/4" ratchet is too small. its the same kind of whole as yours, but its a different size from yours

thats what my uncle suggested as well. but do you even think jeep made a part for that? it makes no sense to me to use a plug with that size plug.

There are many plugs on that transmission are you sure you're looking at the correct ones?

Crap! my mistake after i've re-read the question. Bounty_Hunter is right, use a short 3/8 extension for a 3/8 ratchet drive. If it's too tight, just grind it down a little to get it in there nice and snug then you have a special tool in your tool box for future use. Unless you have access to a Snap-on or Matco tool distributor, they have various sizes for these plugs and they are pretty pricey.

k ill get a hold of a 3/8 adapter than. and im pretty sure that i was looking at the fill plug and the drain plug Bounty_Hunter, although you bring up a good point. i think i found the drain plug on the back by the transfer case and the fill plug is one the passenger side, by the front passengers door. does that sound right?

have you tried going to a actual Jeep dealer? they probably can help you find the right tool.

Not on a rig that is over 20 years old. Most of them haven't even seen one that old up close! On some of those trans, there are 2 plugs for filling. One side for 2wd and the other side (a little higher) for 4wd. Especially the BA 10/5 (I recently removed the one from my '87 MJ but didn't get pics of the 2 plugs)

i havent brought it by a jeep dealership yet, but i also dont wanna spend an arm and a leg for a little tool.

my transmission has one plug for filling located on the right side up by the front passenger door and the drain plug is located on the back of the transmission by the transfer case.

Back