99 wrangler automatic transmission issues

Clip4x4

Hello all,
I'm new to the group and need some information. I have a 99 wrangler that just kind of revs up like its in neutral when you put it in drive. It will pull some but seems as though when it goes less than a mile down the road it just revs up and won't move. Could a fluid and filter change do the trick? It has 84k miles and has the inline 6 motor. After it sits for a while it drives and rides fine.

Welcome to the boards.

Any symptoms before this?

A fluid change is the easiest and likely the fix. Just be sure to change the filter and use the correct fluid. Do not use any fixit stuff in a bottle that lay clams to correct issues. FWIW If the fluid is brown I'd change the fluid again in 500 miles if the flush n fill corrects the issue.

This is really the second time that the problem has happened. It's likely there could be mud or something that has clogged the filter or something like that. What type of fluid do you recommend?

I drove the jeep today and it went in drive fine and even drove around fine. I haven't put the new fluid or filter in. It now will drive forward in reverse. What could be the other problem?

How is the fluid level? What color is the fluid?

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to flush and fill this weekend.

Back