AX 15 rebuild?

volaredon

How bad is it; my synchro's are about shot especially in 1st and 2nd. I've done A/T's before, never rebuilt a stick.

If youve done an auto. A manual will be abreeze make sure its clean and have the book near by.

If youve done an auto. A manual will be abreeze make sure its clean and have the book near by.
that's good to know; several years ago I pulled my brother's AX5 and sent it out for a "bench rebuild" and put it back in. I'm just "leery" since I have never had a stick apart.
Done lots of clutches, but never had to rebuild a stick transmission.

Ya. As long as you use a good book with part break downs etc you will be ok. Just keep your snap rings in order. Some look the same but are different thicknesses and only open as much as nessacary they are tough to get.

I rebuilt a AX15 about 1.5 years ago I replaced a lot of stuff in it, I got the info off the Internet and printed it out.as long as you have a knife edge puller and a press it is a breeze! The hardest time I had is with the shifting arms but common sense will go a long way with that mine still works perfectly after20000 miles

Re: AX 15 rebuild? (www.diystew.com/transmission/)

I had to rebuild the AX5 transmission in my '92 Wrangler this past spring. It was my first rebuild ever. It was grinding bad going into 3rd gear and sometimes 2nd gear. I tried the syncomesh fluid route and it didnt help. Next was to replace the synchros. If you need to go that route, I tried to document some information on the website below. It has some videos and AX5 teardown manuals that helped me do the whole thing myself. The procedure for the AX5 and AX15 are almost identical so you can still use the information if you have an AX15. Hope it helps somebody. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back