Axle Questions

SenorCole86

RE: Steering upgrades on your wrangler

I have a few questions:

1) I think I finally figured out what gear ratio I have in my axles. I found a tag buried in one of my seats. I'm assuming it came of of my D30. It says 3.07. BUT, when going 65 miles an hour, the engine is singing at almost 3000 RPM like it has the 3.54 I originallt thought it had.

2) If it is 3.07, will I have a lot of trouble turning 31's or 32's?

3) I was looking around at lockers and probably gonna get an Aussie Locker but the site says they are to be installed in open diffs. I have never taken apart my rear axle so I have no idea how the limited slip gear fits in there. Is it an integral part of the diff or can I take it out and just replace it with the Aussie Locker?

Do you have an inline six? My jeep has 32" tires and 3.31 in the axles. The 258 handles the tires pretty well, but does leave some to be desired.

Jeep won't idle right

Spin the tire 1 reveloution and count how many times the rear yoke goes completly around.( 1 wheel--3 1/2 turns on the yoke= 3.54) ect... or do what jp guy said and look on the side of the ring gear for the r/p gear count. Its stamped on the ring gear.If you have a trac-loc L/S then you have only one choice for a locker to fit your case and that is a powertrax, kinda expensive. If its open go get a lock-rite or another lunchbox locker thery're all pretty much the same and throw that in.

RE: New (used) axles, what maintenance should I do?

Alright, spinning the tire didnt work. The rear yoke only spun around about 1.5 times. Gonna take the cover off once I get to ace and get a torx big enough for the fill plug.

I did a little bit of research into the powertrax. Is it a locker or just a nice limited slip? The site simply read that it provides superior traction over a limited slip. And why is that the only one that would fit my case?

Do it on concrete or some other hard flat surface. Put the transmission in neutral. Put a mark on the driveshaft that you can see from beside the Jeep, and a mark on the outside of the tire. Now slowly roll the Jeep while watching your two marks. There is no reason to remove the cover just to verify the ratio. Count the driveshaft rotation and compare it to available ratios for your axle.

RE: Dieseling on shut down

If you have a L/S case that is the only locker that will fit that case. Better off getting a used open case and a lockrite or other.

The powertrax is a lunchbox locker, just like the lock rite but redesigned to be a little stronger and more street friendly.

Good info on the powertrax. I did not know they would fit a limited grip carrier.

To answer the original question:
If you are only planning on running 31 or 32" tires then you should be ok with 2.73, 3.07 or 3.54. The step up will also make your RPM's decrease on the highway.

RE: Re: RE: Stuck line truck

SenorCole,
As you know I have the same 3.07 in my CJ and I run 32x11.5x15s on my rig. No the stump pulling torque is not there as it would be with 4.56s ect, but I do fine when I go out. When my speedo says 65 mph I am turning about 2600-2700 rpm, I do have an auto transmission though (TF999) yours may be different.

-D-

Tie rod woahs

If you are still unsure about what gears you have. Check the tag on the front axle.

Back