CB Antenna Mounting - Grounded?

In my experience the meters in the radio are only good enough to tell if you have a short or not. Most read above 3 or 1. The externals are better giving a realistic reading.

I finally got it all mounted and ran the Rubicon this weekend. It worked great. My SWR reading was 1.5 and that was with no adjustment on the antennae. I took the meter with me with plans to make adjustments on the trail, but never got around to it. The only problem I had was when the ARB compressor kicked on it could be heard on the radio. I think this is a grounding problem at the point where the actual radio grounds to the body. Thanks for all the tips though!

Dealing with the noise from the ARB comp.: with the comp running remove the antenna from the mount and see if the sound goes away. If it does improve the ground to the compressor. Ground the metal casing of the compressor as well. If it didn't go away the noise is coming in on the power and ground of the radio. Improve the connections and be sure the radio power and ground is not run with the compressor power and ground. And improve the comp ground.

Back