Clutch Instillation

Wranglerman21

Just wondering if anyone has installed a clutch in a Wrangler TJ before and how hard was it. Thanks again everyone for all of your help!:?|

That would depend on your mechanical skills. i dont think there's any difficult task in installing a Clutch in any Jeeps. i would recomend that you replace the Pressure plate, t. out bearing , pilot bearing along with the clutch though. and inspect the flywheel for any cracking or Heatspots. if you also have a chattering when releasing the clutch , i would recommend you remove the flywheel and get it re-surfaced. Some Clutch Kits out there will have the Clutch alignment tool included in the kit if not, i would recommend that you get one unless you want to use a broom stick and whittle it to size. i find it a lot easier to service the clutch by separating the T-Case from the Transmission (personal prefference) only becasue of ease of installing the trans back onto the jeep. i usually grab the output shaft of the TRANSMISSION with it in 1st gear and gently turn it back and forth during installation so the splines lines up between the input shaft and the clutch.

Like SteelHeadz said, it's not a huge ordeal, it just takes some time and mechanical aptitude. Along with some amount of brute force and finesse. A Haynes manual should be able to walk you through it.

If you've done a clutch on a two wheel drive vehicle, it's not that bad. You've got two drivelines instead of one, and the transmission/transfer case is heavy and awkward to balance on a floor jack. It would be easier if you had a transmission jack or take the transfer case off first, then the transmission.
If you've never done a clutch before there are a lot of steps involved that really can be challenging for a beginner. U-joints, exhaust, linkages, changing the pilot bearing/bushing, using torque wrenches, not getting greasy fingerprints on the clutch surfaces, etc.,etc. I don't want to discourage you, but it might take several days to finish the task. But with the amount of money that some shops charge, it might be worth your trouble. good luck, john

It takes roughly 8 hours are home on the floor of the garage. It really helps to have a floor transmission jack. you can pick one of the cheaper scissor type up from Harbor Freight. It works just fine as long as you get the transmission centered. The hardest part is the 8 or so 18mm bolts that attach the bell housing to the motor. Having a 1/2 drive air wrench with several extensions and universals.
You don't need to remove the exhaust but there is a exhaust pipe hanger that will have to be removed from the transmission.
There are three electrical connections, two will have to be undone from the transmission shifter hole after you pull the stick shift and on the drivers side bell housing you need to pull the Crank Shaft position sensor before you can slide the transmission back far enough to R&R the clutch.

Back