computer codes

flyboy

I have a 99 tj, can anyone tell me how to get the code for what is wrong without a diagnosis. And where I can get what the code means
Thanks Chris[addsig]

Hey I have a 99 TJ aswell and this is what I thing you need to do to get the code for your self in your digital odometer. Get in the Jeep and put the key in the ignition. turn the key from the off postion to the on (don't turn it all the way to run) and then turn it back to off. That should give you a number/code on the display. Let me know what number you get or go to the How-to Section and look up the code. Hope this works :-D [addsig]

Do what K-Phat said, but hold down the odometer reset button while turning the key from off to run (not start) to off. Let us know what code comes up.[addsig]

thanks guys i'll let you know what comes up.[addsig]

I got a 2.5 on my read out. Which makes sense (a little) cause while idlingit revs up and down between 750rpm and 1200rpm. But as for fixing what is actually wrong who knows?[addsig]

The IAC motor (Idle Air Control) is on the passenger side of the throttle body. I'd recommend disconnecting all the sensors and removing the thottle body that is held on by 4 bolts, real easy to do. Remove the sensors from the throttle body and give the throttle body a real good cleaning with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Put it back together and you should be fine. The IAC sensor may need replaced, but try the cleaning first.[addsig]

thanks bounty i'll give it a try tomorrow. ;-) [addsig]

That is kinda funny because the same thing was wrong with mine :-D Mine was only haveing problems during long periods of rain. After it would stop raining my check engine light would go off. [addsig]

Here is an update. when i went out to do this i found a really shiny vacuum nipple with nothing on it ? On the side of the intake there are three nipples, small one at the back, a fairly large one in the middle(for the egr) and a medium size one near the front about 1/4" . This is the one that I have no idea where it goes or if it just gets capped off. Anyone know? :-? [addsig]

To get the code turn the key off and on three times that will give you the codes don't hold the odometer reset in that is running a self test on the entire system. If the code comes up a p code that is something in the emisions system if you take the code to the dealer they can tell you what it is.[addsig]

On my 03 if you hold the odometer reset in when turning the key on it runs a system test I just had it at the dealer last week the tech showed me how too get the codes and how to run the test. To getthe codes you just turn the key three time to the on position.[addsig]

On my 03 .....
He's asking about a '99, not an '03. :-O

And you can do a cluster test if you don't turn the key back to off when holding in the odometer reset button. [addsig]

now, now guysno fighting. Does anyone have a clue where the front vacuum nipple on the intake is supposed to go? [addsig]

Back