Dana 30 questions

dave123

Hello. My 1975 CJ5 has a dana 30, warn locking hubs, drum brakes. The Ujoint that connects the front axel to the front wheel is bad. Looking for the part on quadratec, I realize
I don't even know what it is called.
couple questions: what is it called :)
can the u joint be replaced, or do I have to replace the whole (what ever it is)?
how tough is is to fix? I have no special tools. Does the spindle have to come off?
any other info appreciated. thanx.
dave

thanx collin. if anyone has something like this that walks me through removing the shaft from the jeep, i would appreciate it!

Get a service manual.

Honestly, spend the $20 for the cheapo hayse manual, it will offer a lot of info.

If you can locate a factory service manual, get that, gonna cost a pretty question though.

I would also suggest swapping in a D30 from a pre79 cj with disc brakes.

how to pull the shaft

remove brake line drum and backing plate
remove lock out
remove hub
remove spindle
pull the shaft out through the knuckle
replace the U-joint
I would suggest cleaning and inspecting the bearings and races, some fresh wheel bearing lube,
Assembally is the reverse, make sure you tighten to spec the hub nut, don't want to burn up the wheel bearings

Thx JPS4Jeep. Do I need any special tools to remove the spindle? What is the shaft that holds the U joint called?

I haven't found the U Joint mentioned specifically. Could I use the same one as for the driveshaft?
Actually, I have a Chilton, but it's not much help.
Another question, do all the dana 30's have the same amount of splines?
thanx

No. trying to recall, but the D30 spindle I think is held on with 6 studs that are pressed in from the inside of the knuckle. You will be pulling the nuts off. If it spins in the stud bore, you'll have to cut that one off. Pretty common. then just get a new stud when putting back together, can be a PITA, but not that much more work. not the same as your driveshaft Ujoint. Your drive shafts use a mix between 1310 and 1330 joints I think.. the front shaft should be a 276 joint, they will look similar, but the caps are different and the trunions are slightly different. I can't recall if the factory cj axle joints are snap rings or those PITA half rings that go on the back of the cap after they are pressed on? Someone help me here.. Been a while since I worked on CJ stuff.

Tip, when puting the new joints in, do not use a U-joint press, waste of money and I find they have a tendency of pushing the joint in crooked, marring the surface. Use a light weight ballpin hammer and use lite taps to tap the caps in. also a little litheum grease inside the ears will keep the cap surface from gauling.

Back