dana 41 rear axle

69jeepcj

Does anyone know anything about a dana 41 rear cj axle? I had the early 44 rear and 27 front, both ring and pinions are toast. I bought a 41 rear and 25 front because that's the only thing around here I could find that would fit with no mods. The 41 is only 10 spline, and have read that you can swap the 44,s 19 spline shafts into it, same with the 25 and 27. So I want to swap shafts for more a bit more strength on both axles. both my old axles had powerlocks and I am wondering if they will swap over as well. I have never swaped gears before so Im wondering if this is a simple swap or would I be over my head. I have good mechanical skills, just never been inside the diffs.

Sorry I don't have any good reference to the D41 , hoping that another member will have it on hand. Wondering if you already tried Kaiser Willys auto supply , LLC ? Was the best I could find . Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance . Greg

The Dana 41 was the beginning of the Dana 44. The 41 has a ring gear of 7.75 and was used from 1945-1949 in the CJ 2A and 3A. The Dana 44 has a ring gear that measures 8.5. Now I am not sure if the 44's axles would interchange, but on thing for sure is you would need to change carriers as you probably already know.

Last night I learned that the shafts will swap but not the powerlock, to change the shafts I would have to swap the side gears too. That sounds a bit intimidating to me since I've never messed with diff gears before. I learned the 27 shafts will swap right over to the 25, only real gain though is a better and stronger u-joint. I will probably leave the 41 as is and swap the front shafts. thanks

Back