dana 44 questions

abe

a friend of mine just let me know of a set of d44's that someone he knows is getting rid of. they r out of a ramcharger not sure what year yet. i have a 97 tj and was wondering if its worth my trouble to buy a kit and make the swap or just hold out save some money for awhile and buy a rubi 44 set w/ the lockers and b done. thanks for the help

The TJ Rubi versions aren't much stronger than what you have, the front is a 30 with a 44 center section. Ramchargers have a passenger side drop front and the rear will prob be a chryco 9.25 not a 44. You would have to swap your transfer case and do some work on the exhaust to fit the front axle.

You're better off starting with a set of real d44's, not Rubi 44's. Look for an 80's front Waggy d44 and a mid '90s d44 from an Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Passport. There's a writeup on JP Magazine's website.

I just got a HP 44 front end from a 76 F150 and a Ford 9". You could do that if you wanted to spend a good bit of time and effort. They would be wider than your stock axles but you could get them cut down. Of course this would cost a decent amount of money.

Man thanks guys that's a big help I would have replied earlier but for some reason I don't get instant e mails when somone posts any more. Thanks though for the input. My cat just went today. yet another project unexpected.

Back