differential parts identification

desertrunner

So I messed up. I bought a powertrax locker carrier and ring and pinion the other day on Craigslist and was in a rush so I neglected to make sure all the parts were right. The locker fits the carrier but the ring gear doesn't match up. So how can I tell what gears I have and what carrier/locker I have. He claimed them to both be for a Dana 35. The ring gear is a bit larger than the carrier if it helps

I checked into it some more and they both seem to be from a Dana 35 but different models? The ring gear measures 7.5 inches like it should and the locker is 27 spline like it should be. The problem is the carriers bolt pattern is 10 bolts but the ring gear is 8. So, can anyone help me on what's what? I have a Dana 35 from a 97 Cherokee I plan to put it in and I'm hoping that carrier has the 8 bolt pattern but I can't get into it for another week or two.

Im not sure, but to maybe give you a direction untill someone that does know can respond.
There are diff carriers for gear sets. im not sure where it changes, but say one carrier for 373 ratio and numaricly lower, and a diff carrier for 373 and numaricly higher. Sounds like you have a mix match of the two.

Without actually seeing what you have, my guess would be that the carrier is from a D44 which used a 10 bolt pattern. According to Dana, the D35 was standard with 8 through all years (but the book has been wrong before). Even when the carriers are swapped for the different gear ratios (i.e 2.72 to 4.88), the carriers still use the same bolts.

Doesn't quite make sense to me tho because the ring gear is bigger than the carrier and I would assume the carrier for a Dana 44 would be larger not smaller

At this point, are you sure it's a D35 ring? You many have something like a Chys. 8.25 ring? They use 8 bolts as well. If you have the carrier in your possession, measure across the ring mounting flange. When I get a chance, I'll go out to the shop and measure one of my D44's and we can compare.

Well.. I said screw it. I picked up a seperate Dana 35 carrier with 4.10 gears all ready attached. Less headache

140 bucks. The carrier turns out to be weird so ill sell the 3.73 and gets some cash back hopefully. The 4.10 gears are almost new.. no marks from being in the previous axle. I also got all the whims and seals I needed

Back