dumb question but Im new....

trustno1

hello all. I just recently moved into a house with a garage and now that the wifes mustang is paid for she said I could finally get my jeep. My question is my garage is 8 feet high....if I get a JK 4 door jeep wrangler and install a 4" lift with maybe 35s (I dont plan to go ALOT off road but I do live near Galveston Texas aka the beach and sand) will my new jeep fit or will it have to sit outside and be jealous of her mustang in the garage haha.If 35s wont fit in the garage will 33s fit? Thanks everyone and keep up the cool website.:D

It should fit. You might even be able to install a lightbar over the windshield with some lights and make it fit.

Still, I'd measure. Go to the Jeep dealership and measure the JK you want to buy from the pavement to it's highest point. Then, add 4" for your lift. Then, for each extra inch of tire you'll be running, with stock as the base to compare to, add a half-inch of lift.

So, for the sake of this argument, Wikipedia says that a factory JK is 70.9 inches, so lets round up to 71 inches (you should still measure the actual Jeep you're planning on driving off the lot.) Now, we add 4 for the lift and we get 75 inches.

For the sake of this argument let's assume that the stock tires are 30.5 inches in diameter, which I think is actually correct for a JK. You want to run 35's, so we take the extra 4.5 inches in tire height and divide it by 2 to get 2.25.

Now, we tack on the extra 2.25 inches of lift you get from the bigger tires and your grand total comes to 77.25 inches, give or take an inch or two for spring sag and tire pressure.

Then we just divide 77.25 inches by 12 to get 6.4375 feet, or six and a half feet, basically. So after all is said and done, you should still have about a foot and a half to play around with.

If you hate my explanation of it, sorry, I'm one of those people that likes to work out math problems with long sentences :D The actual equation is something like this:

Factory height + (Suspension/body lift) + [(New tire diameter - Factory tire diameter) / 2] = (Total projected height in inches / 12) = Total projected height in feet
71 + (4) + [(35 - 30.5) / 2] = (77.25 / 12) = 6.4375

Last edited:
But save your money and get a Real jeep. 86.5-90 YJ only jeep with square headlights and the best ones around (in my opinion) and you can save a but load of money that can be spent on other upgrades. Like OBA or a winch or both :) By the way if you go to jeepforum.com and go to the YJ section you will find a writeup on just about everything that can be done to a YJ even the CJ7 front grill.

Is the ceiling in the garage 8’ or is the garage door 8’ ? Homes that were built with overhead garage doors from the 1950s & up tend to be 7’ high unless the home is more high end, and that’s 84” (7’) less an inch or two for the door opening trim for 81” – 82” net.

I would check the height from the garage opener also.Some sit lower than the door.

I have a 8' door and no garage opener i don't think 4" and 35's will fit although it might... but if your going get a jk then drive it home and park it halfway in get your measurement see how much room you have to play with and then go from there.

Most boats that won’t fit in a 7’ door will fit an 8’. Unless you have a wicked light bar or luggage rack you should be fine.

But save your money and get a Real jeep. 86.5-90 YJ only jeep with square headlights and the best ones around (in my opinion)
Why would he want a jeep with a problematic carb?

It will fit. My YJ has about 6" of lift and 35" tires, barely squeezes into my 7' garage and that's with a softop that sticks up more than a hardtop.

You can adjust your garage door to open more fully if the door doesn't rise above the door opening when open.

Ok just to let every one know my f250 lariat 33" tires and a 2" lift DOES NOT FIT a 7' door i broke a light on top.......

3.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

< she said I could finally get my jeep.>

my first impression is: what makes you think she'll let you near her garage?

It should fit. You might even be able to install a lightbar over the windshield with some lights and make it fit.

Still, I'd measure. Go to the Jeep dealership and measure the JK you want to buy from the pavement to it's highest point. Then, add 4" for your lift. Then, for each extra inch of tire you'll be running, with stock as the base to compare to, add a half-inch of lift.

So, for the sake of this argument, Wikipedia says that a factory JK is 70.9 inches, so lets round up to 71 inches (you should still measure the actual Jeep you're planning on driving off the lot.) Now, we add 4 for the lift and we get 75 inches.

For the sake of this argument let's assume that the stock tires are 30.5 inches in diameter, which I think is actually correct for a JK. You want to run 35's, so we take the extra 4.5 inches in tire height and divide it by 2 to get 2.25.

Now, we tack on the extra 2.25 inches of lift you get from the bigger tires and your grand total comes to 77.25 inches, give or take an inch or two for spring sag and tire pressure.

Then we just divide 77.25 inches by 12 to get 6.4375 feet, or six and a half feet, basically. So after all is said and done, you should still have about a foot and a half to play around with.

If you hate my explanation of it, sorry, I'm one of those people that likes to work out math problems with long sentences :D The actual equation is something like this:

Factory height + (Suspension/body lift) + [(New tire diameter - Factory tire diameter) / 2] = (Total projected height in inches / 12) = Total projected height in feet
71 + (4) + [(35 - 30.5) / 2] = (77.25 / 12) = 6.4375

Sine,
I hope you know, you totally BLEW my mind with that.
Then again this method is 100% true. The common sense thing would be to go measure the jeep pavement to highest point and just guesstimate. But dam sine you took it to the next level lol.

Kudos

I have to take the air out of the tires of my jeep to get ti in the garage.. But I only use it for trail rides so it only comes out once or twice a month.

trustno1, did you get the Jeep?

Sine,
I hope you know, you totally BLEW my mind with that.
Then again this method is 100% true. The common sense thing would be to go measure the jeep pavement to highest point and just guesstimate. But dam sine you took it to the next level lol.

Kudos

I was just thinking "Garage - Jeep. These are two words that don't go together." The only way my 91 YJ gets the garage is if my wife is at work and it's snowing outside when I want to put new shocks on it. Even then, I have to be done by the time she gets home. Makes projects not drag out for weeks.

< she said I could finally get my jeep.>
<The only way my 91 YJ gets the garage is if my wife is at work>
Sad sad sad come on guys when it comes to a garage the only thing your wife should have to say about it is ( I stocked the fridge in your garage with beer today) thats it no more no less.

i have to agree with fixitdad!the garage is a man's castle!i don't care what you do with the rest of the house,but the garage is mine!stay out!no women allowed!now,if i ever get done with saving the $$$ to build my garage,i'll be happy!the dirt floor,sunshine-lit garage is not so bad in the summertime,but REALLY SUCKS in the winter!just be happy you have one,even if you do have to share!

i have to agree with fixitdad!the garage is a man's castle!i don't care what you do with the rest of the house,but the garage is mine!stay out!no women allowed!now,if i ever get done with saving the $$$ to build my garage,i'll be happy!the dirt floor,sunshine-lit garage is not so bad in the summertime,but REALLY SUCKS in the winter!just be happy you have one,even if you do have to share!

I told my wife exactly that, in a very stern and bossy way...

Of course, now there is a sewing machine, a painting stand, some flowers and some other stuff in MY garage... The Jeep IS 600 miles away for now, but it's going into the garage next week. We'll see how that works out!

Also measure the distance to the arm that connects the garage opener chain to the garage door.
It can hang lower than the door opening or the opener. I know this. :shades:
When I lifted my old Sport Trac, I eyeballed it when I got home, it looked okay, but I had the wife watch while I pulled it in just to be safe because Sport Tracs have roof rails. It didn't hit anything but when I got out to look and saw the space between the arm and the truck's roof I said "Damn, that was close, wasn't it?" :lol:

Back