Engine Missfire

bigschrec

Have a '97 TJ with 2.5L 4 cylinder. My engine is shaking real bad when I start it and lots of "smoke" is coming from the exhaust. It isn't as bad when I drive. I just got a whole new ignition system a year or two ago. I think I have a misfire. I thought maybe it's a bad distributer since I have a pretty new ignition. How do I fix this?

Have the trouble code pulled using a scanner on the OBDII port. Let us know what it says.

Codes: P0300 P0302 multiple misfire and cylinder two misfire. I'm gonna take out the #2 plug tomorrow and re-gap it and see if that cures it

2x^^

This could be many things. Does it do this when you rev the engine above 1500 RPMs?

Inspect the wire and cap contact for that cylinder.

No it's fine when I rev it up and when I drive. I took out the #2 plug and re-gapped it and it's a lot better. I think I'm going to re-gap the other three tomorrow just for good measure. It was shaking like a washing machine before I pulled the plug and now it's not shaking like that at all

They are champion plugs. I'm not sure what model but I know that certain Mopars have to have champion plugs. I'll check the model of them tomorrow when I pull the rest

Back