has anyone read the letter micheal moore wrote to bush?

currupt4130

VT Hokie
if not, here it is... :roll: (mods if you feel this is to controversial please remove it immediatley.)

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

i just dont understand why it gets blamed on bush when disasters are entirely the states responsibility to prepare for and clean up after unless they ask for help, which they have now, but it just blows me away that they cant realize that it was the governors sole responsibility to have her state prepared for disasters and such and that maintaing the levee isnt a federal matter, its a state issue. micheal moore makes me sick... and so does the NAACP, i dont know where they come of blaming the govt for trying to cut down the black population?

currupt4130 said:
....and that maintaing the levee isnt a federal matter, its a state issue.

Actually, though it's partly the state's responsibility, the Army Corps of Engineers is part of the Federal Government and that is who is responsible for the actual building and maintanence of the levees. During his tenure as president, Bush has cut millions of dollars from the budget for the Army Corps of Engineers that was used to repair and maintain flood control devices. The ACE has been crying for years now that they need more money to complete the reinforcement of those levees, as well as many, many more flood control projects across the US, but their budgets just keep getting cut more and more.

As for the preparation for the disaster, yeah, it's in part also the state's responsibility, but for the most part the money and a lot of the legwork comes from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), another federal institution, as the name implies. I know this because I helped write the disaster plan for our city several years ago, and I couldn't do anything nor have anything passed by the council until FEMA approved it. I literally worked side by side with a FEMA rep for nearly a year to get all the ducks in a row on that project, and half the money for our disaster plan equipment (radios, cell phones, generators, rescue equipment, etc.) came from FEMA.

I hate Michael Moore, too, but these are points I felt I needed to straighten out with you. We can't fully blame Bush for the poor response, as the city and state obviously had very poor disaster plans (MSNBC reported today that their plan basically ended at evacuation notices.....not how or where to evacuate the people, just how to tell them to evacuate). I also believe what plans they did have were obviously not followed well at all. A disaster plan is just that, a plan that must be followed line by line in order to work as intended. I don't believe the leaders of the area affected should have needed to ask for help, it was plainly obvious that it was needed. That is why there is such a public outcry against Bush for the delayed response. Sure, when Katrina passed over Florida, they thought it might hit somewhere along the Gulf Coast, but couldn't predict with any accuracy where. However, when it was still a day or two away, they pretty much knew it was gonna be bad, and pretty much knew within a hundred miles or so where it would hit and how much damage it was going to cause. That is when the National Guard should have been mobilized, when the necessary food and water should have started moving towards the region, and the rescue teams should have already been staged in the safe zone just outside the predicted path in order to be ready to respond immediately after the storm passed. None of this was done, and there is absolutely no excuse for it. That is why Bush is getting spanked so badly. Even if he didn't take any action, he should have at least left for DC immediately after the storm rather than 2-3 days later. At least that would give the impression that he cared and was doing something. Yeah, it's apparent from reports on both sides of the political fence that he dropped the ball on this one.

yeah, it's all Bush's fault again. that is getting very old.

Let's NEVER look inward at the elected leaders in New Orleans because that would not be PC.

Bush declared the area a disaster area 2 freakin days BEFORE the storm hit so that the local officials and the Governer could call in the troops and be prepared with the military waiting in the wings.. 2 Days before the storm hit. They mayor and the govenor did squat!!

They had time to still get a good deal of those people (who also had 2 days warning) out of there. Take a look at the HUNDREDS of school buses that COULD have been used by the MAYOR and local officials to evac those people BEFORE the flooding hit too badly.

image-missing.png

But NO we never want to look at the elected local officials like the mayor who were warned 5 years ago by the Army Cops of Engineers that any hurricane over a cat 3 would do this.

Yeah, ole Bush and the federal government are supposed to wipe our butts and feed and clothe us all from birth to the grave. And when our cities would rather spend their money on vodoo stores and mardi gras parades and don't take precautions to protect the citizens, blame the prez.

Shut your fat, rich, hole up Moore or get down there and start helping.

You social elitist, vermin, parasite, on society!

Ok, so the prez declared the area a disaster before it hit, so he knew what was going to be needed. Why then did he not go ahead with the order to deploy the National Guard? How many times did that ball bounce before he rolled off his chaise lounge on the veranda in Crawford to do a 400 mph "flyover" in Air Force One to assess the damage? No, it's not all his fault, and I didn't quite express that well enough in my post above. He said today the response was "not acceptable", and blamed the US government agencies for that....ummm.....isn't he the Commander in Chief, basically the boss of those government agencies? Yeah.....I thought so.......

90Xjay said:
Shut your fat, rich, hole up Moore or get down there and start helping.

You social elitist, vermin, parasite, on society!

Finally, I'm not the one bring up touchy subjects :lol: I agree with you guys Moore is an A*s but Bush did cut back on the corps of engineers....... but.... um..... they were told a cat3 could do this 5 years ago!?!

I feel sorry for all of those who lost homes, loved ones, and non-replaceable items....... but they call it a HURRICANE for a reason..... they kinda have a reputation as being ass kickers....... and they give you a big red V for where it will/might go, for crying out loud what do you think they mean by that?

Sparky wrote:
Why then did he not go ahead with the order to deploy the National Guard

The very reason he went ahead and pre-delcared disaster areas is so the the GOVENORS of the STATES affected could have the authority and funds to prepare or do whatever they seen fit, afterall, they live there.

BTW Sparky, the National Guard is under the control of the Govenor of the state they are in. The state govenor had the authority to deploy the Louisina National Guard before, during and after the storm hit. Why didn't she? Did Bush tell her not to?

The Federal gov't can take control of the guard and send units from other states into any other state and that is what has happend here.

But by declaring a Federal Disaster area by the president gives broad sweeping authority to the state and local officials to prepare and react to a natural disaster like this. Bush did this 2 days BEFORE the storm hit!
THE GOVENER AND MAYOR AND OTHER OFFICIALS DROPPED THE BALL!

What was their disaster prepardness Sparky?? Meet at the Superdome?!!
Is that it? After 9-11 major cities all over took steps to be prepared for attacks or other disasters, what did New Orleans do, drink and gamble and plan conventions?

I do think that Bush should go in and fire the head of FEMA and his fancy pants, Homeland Security director who were afraid to take charge and get things done when the rest of the nation figured that the state and local people were still too drunk and hung over from drinking Hurricane drinks the night before the storm hit to do anything.

You all go ahead and blame the president, thats a quick and easy way to box it up. But when New Orleans had been warned 5 years ago that this was going to happen sooner or later, and did squat to prepare for it, I tend to look at the local and state authorities. Of course others think that the govenors and mayors get a free pass. well I don't

1. So where the poor black impoverished people also driving all the cars that you can see underwater in New Orleans that didn't heed the warnings and leave when they had the chance? Sure looks like a lot of people just drove to a hotel instead of getting the hell out of the city.
2. And what of those buses underwater?
3. There are plenty of troops and aircraft here to take care of national disasters. Here I am in CA and we've all been alerted to stand by for volunteers if the need be. One of our aircraft was gone the second day. And that's just from my hangar.
4. FINALLY LET'S NOT FORGET THE DUMBSUMABITCH THAT THOUGHT BUILDING A CITY ALMOST 20 FEET BELOW SEA LEVEL AND THEN TRYING TO KEEP THE WATER OUT WITH LEVEES MADE OF DIRT AND SUCH WAS A GOOD IDEA!

Some of the blame needs to fall on those individuals with waterlogged cars that didn't get out. You can't tell me that there were 20 some thousand people in New Orleans that didn't have a car or know someone who did. PLus, how about pickin up a hitchhiker? I'll bet you there were quite a few people in the carpool lane on Sunday afternoon with only one person in the car.

All those buses could've been put into service last weekend getting people out of town. I lived in southeast for a few years and lived thru 2 or 3 hurricanes and they never just snuck up without some prior warning.

PLus, just as it's going to take a lot of coordination getting people out of the area it's going to take that much or more getting soldiers and supplies in. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DUMSUMABITCHES ARE SHOOTING AT THEM......HELLO! I'M FRIGGEN HERE TO HELP YOU....DON'T FRIGGEN SHOOT ME!

......in the words of Forest Gu-ump, "and that's all I have to say about that."

P.S. I truly am sorry for the situation they are in right now. No human on earth should ever have to live such a tragedy as that. My prayers are with them.

jumppr said:
Some of the blame needs to fall on those individuals with waterlogged cars that didn't get out. You can't tell me that there were 20 some thousand people in New Orleans that didn't have a car or know someone who did. PLus, how about pickin up a hitchhiker? I'll bet you there were quite a few people in the carpool lane on Sunday afternoon with only one person in the car.

All those buses could've been put into service last weekend getting people out of town. I lived in southeast for a few years and lived thru 2 or 3 hurricanes and they never just snuck up without some prior warning.
AMEN BROTHER

jumppr wrote:

Now jumppr you know good and well that president Bush snuck down there and pulled the plug wires off of all of those peoples cars two days before the storm hit so they could not leave and I think CNN has some video of him blowing holes in the levees and laughing an evil laugh..

Bush's master plan, of course you know he OWNS all of the major oil companies and he had NASA plant this storm to hit the refineries so he could get filthy rich... BWA HA HA HA HA

Blame the president....it's a traditon after all

I could have sworn that I read sixty five percent of the NO area was living under the poverty level, not thirty. Who knows, I've taken in so much news on the situation.

All I know is blame is worthless at this point unless someone is goin to make a change and we know better than that. The NG is in there finally cracking down on violence and saving people. Blessings are happening finally and I'm happy to see that. I still feel for all involved and especially those not evacuated or rescued yet.

Lady

LadyJeepFreak said:
All I know is blame is worthless at this point unless someone is goin to make a change and we know better than that. I still feel for all involved and especially those not evacuated or rescued yet.

Lady

amen lady, i jsut thought id share with you all what our so esteemed political critic micheal moore thought of the situation, i mean, jeeze, we ought to just elect him king of the world with his clairvoyancy :roll: .

and thank you sparky for correcting me, i am now more the wiser but point being that the damn was only predicted to hold up to a 3 in any case adn that they had known that for several years as prairiepunk pointed out.

my thoughts go out to all that have to be deployed to go help, and their familes, come back safe and thank you once again for serving your country in time of need.
-sam

Well I know I aint around here much but this one has my name all over it. Hail the freedom of press! Hail thoes that see it for what it is and are not afraid to say it! Mike Moore is so on target if you can only take the blinders off long enough to see the facts. What part of the statements in the letter were not true? I still say as I did back in the election I would vote for Charles Manson befor I would ever have put a mark on the ballot for a Bush! Tug

RE: Gen Chat Katrina

Pretty easy for anybody to blame Bush, not knowing 95% of what goes on behind the scenes. Why isn't Michael Moore along the Gulf Coast assisting with the disaster relief? Oh ya, he's too busy scratchin out garbage about the CIC.

Tug-n-pull said:
Well I know I aint around here much but this one has my name all over it. Hail the freedom of press! Hail thoes that see it for what it is and are not afraid to say it! Mike Moore is so on target if you can only take the blinders off long enough to see the facts. What part of the statements in the letter were not true? I still say as I did back in the election I would vote for Charles Manson befor I would ever have put a mark on the ballot for a Bush! Tug

Well, Tug, I'm with you......but we'll be burned heavily for our stance. What the hell. Y'all need to check out this link (posted elsewhere also):

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

Then consider what all these government/politicians are saying about how "we never knew............".

Can't wait 'til I get old and feeble (oops, already old!!!) and wait for my government (whom I've paid all these taxes for all these years) to come to my aid :shock:

90Xjay said:
Sparky wrote:
Why then did he not go ahead with the order to deploy the National Guard

The very reason he went ahead and pre-delcared disaster areas is so the the GOVENORS of the STATES affected could have the authority and funds to prepare or do whatever they seen fit, afterall, they live there.

BTW Sparky, the National Guard is under the control of the Govenor of the state they are in. The state govenor had the authority to deploy the Louisina National Guard before, during and after the storm hit. Why didn't she? Did Bush tell her not to?

The Federal gov't can take control of the guard and send units from other states into any other state and that is what has happend here.

But by declaring a Federal Disaster area by the president gives broad sweeping authority to the state and local officials to prepare and react to a natural disaster like this. Bush did this 2 days BEFORE the storm hit!
THE GOVENER AND MAYOR AND OTHER OFFICIALS DROPPED THE BALL!

Wrong again, my friend. The Great and Powerful W appointed a head of Homeland Security for this very purpose. The Homeland Security Act puts the ball back in the Federal Government's hands in cases of "significant national incidents" such as this, and they are then the ones to be calling out the NG, whether it be from that state or from another.

The reason for declaring it a disaster area was to speed the aid (monetary, medical, SAR, etc.) from the National level along, so that they didn't have to wait a day or two after the storm passed. Sure looks like that helped, huh? It has nothing to do with giving them "broad and sweeping authority", nor did it have anything to do with getting prepared! 2 days before a Cat 5 storm hits is the wrong time to be "getting prepared"!! Those preparations should have been done with the millions that were sent to every state in the wake of the debacle we now call the Department of Homeland Insecurity. Come on, 90, I know you're more well-read than that! I would have thought you'd have known what a Federal Disaster declaration meant! Apparently, I was wrong about that......
90Xjay said:
What was their disaster prepardness Sparky?? Meet at the Superdome?!!
Is that it? After 9-11 major cities all over took steps to be prepared for attacks or other disasters, what did New Orleans do, drink and gamble and plan conventions?

My point exactly. Their disaster plan was pretty much non-existent. A disaster plan for a major city like NO (and even one for a minor burg like Mount Hope, KS) that is to deal with a "significant national incident" such as this is to be worked through and approved by a representative of the Department of Homeland Security. (Remember the Department of Homeland Security.....yeah, that's one of Bush's babies). So, sure, the city of NO didn't have a disaster plan worth a crap, but ummm....yeah, the DHS should have known that and made them re-write it. I'm stickin' to my guns, and it sounds like I got back up with Mud and Tug (whew!! I hates fightin' these things by myself. It always seems so disgraceful to the other side when they lose!!! :lol: )

currupt4130 said:
and thank you sparky for correcting me, i am now more the wiser but point being that the damn was only predicted to hold up to a 3 in any case adn that they had known that for several years as prairiepunk pointed out.

See my post about that above. The ACE and the city both have known for a long, long time that those dikes would only withstand the storm surge of a cat 3 storm, but as I pointed out, the ACE's budget has been cut to the bone so badly that they don't have the money to reinforce them to withstand a cat 5. They had started to do so several years ago, but budget cuts made them abandon the effort.

This is pathetic.....even more than the lack of storm preparation on the part of SEVERAL departments. Our fellow Americans are going through the worst tragedy that they have ever seen and we sit around like drooling retards pointing the finger at each other while they still suffer. Politics wins over real life once again. :oops: :cry:

95 wrangler SE sport, 6 cyl, 5mt, softtop, solid floors!

has anyone read the letter michael moore wrote to bush?

No and I won't. He's as much an idiot as he is a slob. I rank him right up there with Jesse Jackson.

I have read some very good criticism of the Bush administration, but these knuckleheads that blame him for everything bad that happens on the planet I'll take a raincheck on.

By the way, I finally had a chance to view Farenheit 9/11. A friend had it and well, after a little discussion I agreed to watch it. Anyone who believes all that ridiculous baloney must really want to. That's all I have to say about that (you're welcome).

It happens that I am a Michael Moore fan- I admire anyone who will state their case without worrying about financial gain. I am also a Mel Gibson fan- although I won't watch The Passion of the Christ because it is just too gruesome for me- but he made that movie without any thought to whether or not it would be popular, and I respect that.
If what Michael Moore had said was in anyway untrue, there would've been lawyers and law suits all over it. This is America, land of litigation- Bush would not have let him say one word if he had thought he could've silenced him legally.

Back