Help with AMC 20 Rear problems?

PoliceMonkey161

Hello All,

Ok, so got the steering issues worked out....Thanks again to everyone! Now it seems the rear is leaking differential fluid out of the brake plate/axle bearings. I had this problem orginally when I bought the Jeep and up graded to one piece Superior Axles. However, I had the local shop do the work. And low and behold, it's now out of warranty.:shock: After becoming confident in my repair ablities since completing several tasks on my own..... I turn to you all, my friends, for help.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that a small amount of bearing grease was coming out of the little vent hole at the end of the axle. Took off the tire and drum, but all looked OK inside. Today I was under the Jeep retightening my frame bushings after the recent install and noticed what looks like diff. fluid slowly leaking from the same hole. Removal of the wheel and drum showed contamiation of the brake linings.

Any ideas what part or parts I should be looking at?

Thanks again,

I am looking at the same problem with my cj 7. The amc 20 has a inner seal for the oil and an outer seal mostly to hold the grease for the bearing in and keep contaminates out. Did you try and see if there's any vertical movement in the axle shaft? If there is your bearings are probably shot. This is a common problem on amc 20's usually caused by distorted axle tubes.

The Axle seal is a easy fix, bearing is a press on fit. If you fix it and it does it again, I would look into your housing being bent as suggested above.

If it looks like gear oil then the inner seal has to be bad along with the outer seal. I woud jack the jeep up and start it, put it in gear see if the tire runs straight. You might also take the tire and brake drum off and then check it. I think I had a warped housing once, never leaked grease or oil but would break a shaft or let it come out while driving down the road.

Back