Need Rotor help!!

Renegade79

I'm doing the brakes on my 79 CJ5. i got new rotors and after romoving the locking hub and getting the old rotor off, i don't understand how to get the hub assembly the the locking hubs bolt to off of the old rotor! Is it all one piece? thanks

The factory service manual for 1979 states: "The hub and rotor are cast as a single unit." and "The hub and rotor are serviced as an assembly only. If either section is damaged, replace the complete assembly."

However...
I might be wrong but it seems like I have done this. I think I have swapped the hub bodies from an older set of the thicker rotors to the newer thinner style so I could run the six bolt hubs on a newer CJ. I think you can actually seperate them by just pressing out the wheel studs.

I did the front brakes on my 79 CJ-7 about a little over a year ago. I can tell you that mine were not one unit. Do yourself a favor and by a Haynes manual for 15 bucks. Its the best investment you could make in your CJ. If I remember correctly, you have to take the locking hub off. Then the nuts and washers on the axle shaft. Then the whole hub/rotor assembly will slide off. The hub and rotor are held together by the wheel studs. Bang them out and put it all back together again. I am sure I missed something in there, but that's the basic sequence... But like I said, pick up the Haynes manual. Its worth its weight in gold.

Thanks for the intel. I had to pound out the hub bolts, but they were in super tight. The Haynes shows them as a one piece unit.

Back