Never ending!

simontonbill

Well I'm gonna rant a little. I've been having one problem after another (all minor) and it seems like just as soon as I fix one thing another pops up. Winter time is coming around to South Texas so I decided it was time to put the soft top on the YJ. I usually have a bikini top on 9 months a year and park the jeep under a carport with a cab cover. I was offshore for a month and my wife parked it under a tree, the cover blew off and when I got home the cab was full of leaves! I clean it all out and take it for a cruise and hit the brakes and a brake line blew! I get the brake line replaced after three trips to Napa and go for a test drive and the headlights go out. I go buy a new headlight switch and that doesn't fix it so I go get a high/low switch and now I've got brights and dash lights but no dims!!

Just about the time I'm gonna put a for sale sign on it the lights start working and my wife brings me a beer.

Now in reflection, I see that this is the whole reason I got a beach Jeep to begin with. Anybody could go buy a new one and put 2000 dollar rims and a big lift kit, but it's a lot of fun messin' around with a less than perfect vehicle. I salute all of yall that spend your evenin's wrenchin on these old things.

when the vehicle sits out in the rain with no top on,rainwater can get into the steering column and dashboard and could be causing shorts in the headlight or hi-beam or other switches. i would try blowing them out with compressed air first. electrical problems are a specialty all to themselves, and require a painstaking trouble shooting procedure. when you blow out one brakeline the entire system needs to be rebuilt-safety item-! sounds like you have many fun and relaxing hours of jeep ownership ahead. good luck, john

If you left a 15 year old jeep in the rain with no top on for a month, and all you got was a shorted high beam switch, I'd call you lucky! Could you imagine if you had left the top down on your Saab or Mustang?

15 year old Jeep + rain + salt air = rubber & electrical problems. I'm thinking that just about every owner of an earlier model Jeep has had to deal with this at one time or another.

Back