New Project Started... Have some questions

tarsij

I have just decided to build a rear cargo box in my 93 YJ. Since I took out the rear seat, it will span from the rear all the way up to the drop in the floor right behind the front seats. I want to put a couple of 6X9 speakers in it but I need to know if I should build a box around them on the inside or if it will be alright to just mount them. I'll be sure to take lots of pics and I'm going to take a stab at doing my first writeup.

TARSI[addsig]

I'd put a false wall on the front of the box, so the speakers have their own compartment. They'll sound better and won't take a beating, they'll be better protected from what's hauled in the box.[addsig]

Good luck, Finished my 'trail box' last week and love it.

http://www.jeepfabrication.com/

you will find three different measured plans, that may
aid in your own personal design.

Bounty, always has good advice. Each speaker needs
a certain amount of 'air' to function properly, and every
jeep project should be built as close to 'bomb proof' as
we can get.

edited by: USMPK9, May 22, 2003 - 06:51 PM[addsig]

You better protect yourspeakers from whatever is in your cargo box. If I where you, I'd go to Wal-mart and pick up some 6x9 speaker boxes. They are really cheap, and it will great for your application. It will save you a lot of time, and in the long run , a lot of money.[addsig]

I would have to agree with K_K_PSI_GUY, and just go to wally world and get a set of boxes. They are fairly inexpensive, and not to badly built. Now you could always go to your local hardware store and get some good oak or walnut and make some really nice and solid boxes, but there again you better have a buck or two to spend on the wood and the tools to get the job done. So with all that said, have fun and good luck in your adventure. And yes we would all like to see some pics as you go along.

OlllllO :cool: [addsig]

I already have my plans all drawn up, I have loads of plywood and MDO from work and More woodworking tools than I should ever need. I'm going to recess the speakers in the front of the box facing the rear of the two front seats. How big should I build the boxes for the 6X9s? The only thing that is holding me back from doing this is time. I'm going to take next weekend off and do it all then. Does anyone know where I can get some gray carpet to match the stuff on my floors?

TARSI[addsig]

Forget the gray carpet... go to pepboys and buy a couple cans of "Trunk Spatter Paint" Plasticote makes it in black gray and light gray. It takes a couple coats to have a durable finish, and you should really top it off with a clear coat, but the end result is awesome. The downside is if you need alot it gets expensive, 7 bucks a can. I used it on my Center Console and on my Insta Trunk Good luck![addsig]

Back