POP! front wheel drive...

Jeeper84

It's always a new broken thing to replace a fixed thing with Sandy. Here it goes again.... '94 YJ 67,600 miles. 4.0, stock. was sitting at a left turn light. I was pretty angry with my girlfriend. Light turned green, revs turned up, and BAM! She's in gear, but not moving...not any of the gears. A guy with a truck pushed me across and helped me out. Moved the other stick ( 4, 4lo, N, 2) ya know that thing lol dont know what it's called. well I put the stick to where I thought it was nuetral because it was in the normal nuetral position and wiggled back and forth, but it was reading 4 wheels on the dash. Turns out the back wheels wont disengage and I guess the T-case got moved over... I cant explain that whole 4w, but in N position thing. Looked under here and it looks like (bare with me here...) you have the drive shaft and then the U-joint that hooks onto the the thing that spins in the axle.... well the thing that goes into the axle has been pulled out about 2 inches.... I can see clean metal and a red ring coming out of the axle. Drove her home and got major vibrations. Still drives, but I really want this fixed because there's so much other crap that will go wrong if I drive on this any longer. I dont know how to fix this (if I can) I dont know how it happened (guessing, but hoping not, the engine spun the driveshaft too fast for the axle and popped off of it possibly causing ruined gears.). Million thanks in advance for suggestions or comments! -Mike :D

Sounds bad, sounds like you broke the pinion. It's the part that enters the rear axle and has a gear on the end inside the axle, which turns the ring gear that makes your axles turn.

You're looking at about $150 to $200 for a new ring and pinion, and about $250 minimum for the install. It's not a job for the average home mechanic, it's pretty involved.

With the CJ you can remove the rear driveshaft from the transfer case and drive it in frontwheel drive, but you want to make sure what's left of the pinion in the rear axle isn't going to hurt anything.

You might be able to find a used rear axle for the same or less than you would pay to fix what you have.

I know a decent shop in Carbondale, have you heard of Dave's Auto up on the North end of IL Ave, it's right after the split on 51 if your're coming south.

i would definitely go for replacing the entire axle... it seems as though it would be cheaper.. and would be much more easily done by the average home mechanic

I actually goofed up on that discription. It's not coming out of the axle... it's coming out of the transfer case. The DS spins when the back wheels are moving, but it's not moving anything, it's just kinda there for the ride. Thanks for everyone's help! -Mike :D

Jeeper84 said:
I actually goofed up on that discription. It's not coming out of the axle... it's coming out of the transfer case. The DS spins when the back wheels are moving, but it's not moving anything, it's just kinda there for the ride. Thanks for everyone's help! -Mike :D

by any chance, are your springs/axle stil where they need to be? or shifted back some? sounds like you yanked the driveshaft outta the t-case.. not a good thing at all. better check the T-case fluid level, did it all leak out? you will probably need to get the t-case rebuilt/replaced.

Jeeper84, I did a SYE on my 94 YJ 4.0 5 spd last week, I have all of the factory parts left over from the t-case. Make an offer, there yours. nothing wrong when I took out, just too much lift, and got too much vibration.

Johnny
jps4jeep@aol.com

Try the description again, as if you were looking at the rear of the transfer case where the driveshaft bolts on to the output yoke on the transfer case.

sounds like we're talking about the slipyoke... it is supposed to have clean metal showing, and have the red ring around it... it is clean because it shoves into the Tcase when the axle flexes... that won't explain your vibration

Back