Question ?

Not if it sounds like it's coming from the rear. The throwout bearing is part of the clutch system and the sound may change depending on clutch position.

A bad throwout bearing will only maker noise when you are depressing the clutch. If you have the noise with the clutch out, then it’s not the throwout bearing, unless what you hear is a rattling which could be the throwout bearing vibrating off the pressure plate which is no big deal. All throwout bearing do that and make some noise in the old Jeeps

If you have noises coming from the back of the jeep check the rear end differential, pinion bearing, and the wheel bearings. After driving put your hand on these areas to see if you they feel excessively hot; if so this may have found it.

Not to insult you but do you have oil in the rear-end? It may be too late though, sounds like damage may have been done already.

Thanks, for the replies and yes it does have oil. I didn't see any damage when I had it apart - no play in the yoke either. It only starts to grind when slowing down or braking hard. I even had the brakes rebuilt to make sure it wasn't that.

Did you rebuild the rear-end or just open it up to look and see what was going on? Try jacking up the rear of the jeep so that both tires are off the ground, put the x-case in neutral and have a buddy hold on to the tire on one side while you spin the other and vice versa. Do you hear a noise, feel a roughness while turning the wheel, or do the tires not spin easily or one side won't turn much without the other turning too? (Assumes you do not have a locker or limited slip) Any of the above points to the rear-end. I've had two D35s go bad on me over the years and that is without the 35s. The rubber plug is bad at best to keep the fluid in the housing and maybe the guy who had the jeep before you screwed up. The only other thing that comes to mind, is the grinding is really more of a howling? If so maybe the gears aren't set up right. I'm not an expert on axels but you should be able to come up with the culprit by the process of elimination.

Well, I would like to thank you all for your opinions in helping me out but I found the real culprit of why I have grinding. It was caused from a leaf spring shifting a 1/4 " causing my driveshaft nuckles to grind when slowing down. Again thanks.

Back