rattling???

mercab18

every time i start up my jeep, something under the body rattles. i looked at it and thought it was a loose heat plate over my CC, but i was told that it was the whole CC that was rattling. how do i fix this? it sounds terrible!

Have your wife, GF, friend, neighbor, etc. start it while you look underneath. Sounds to me like something loose somewhere.......wrench a couple bolts and everythings fine............could even be something like a loose sway bar!?! Maybe it's just me, but I usually don't go by "something I was told"..........I gotta see for myself.

To see if it's the catalytic converter, put pressure on it by prying against it with a prybar and see if the rattling stops.

ok i now know it's my catalytic converter. the only thing i dont know is if it's the actually cc or if it's just the heat plate that's covering it. before i remove the heat plate, i wanted to ask if it's okay to do that. if it's the cc itself, how much is it to get one of those replaced?

mine's a 97 sport with about 75k miles on it, so i'm thinking it's probably not under warrenty... or is it?

thanks for everyone's help. this rattling is KILLING me!

ok i now know it's my catalytic converter. the only thing i dont know is if it's the actually cc or if it's just the heat plate that's covering it. before i remove the heat plate, i wanted to ask if it's okay to do that. if it's the cc itself, how much is it to get one of those replaced?

mine's a 97 sport with about 75k miles on it, so i'm thinking it's probably not under warrenty... or is it?

thanks for everyone's help. this rattling is KILLING me!

Probably not a good idea to remove the heat plate..........especially if you park in dry grass every now and then! If it is the heat plate, it's most likely a loose/missing bolt or two - easy fix. If it IS the cc and it's something internal, then it's covered by warranty - it's some government-mandated 8 year thing or something, I'm not sure (somewhere here will correct me). However, if it's just some loose mount or something on the cc, then you'll be paying someone to fix it if you don't fix it yourself.

Mine starting doing the same thing while traveling from Wichita, Ks to Oklahoma City, Ok. From the noise it makes, you would think the whole exhaust was coming loose.

Haven't fixed it yet. Probably get a new high flow c/c with a cat-back system.

Any recommendations on the cat-back system? I don't want it to be too loud.

You're past the federal 8yr/80k emissions warranty, so no help there. JCWhitney used to carry highflow Catco converters for $60, don't know how much they are now.

what is this all about? "federal 8yr/80k emissions warranty" I haven't heard of this.

Mine starting doing the same thing while traveling from Wichita, Ks to Oklahoma City, Ok. From the noise it makes, you would think the whole exhaust was coming loose.

Haven't fixed it yet.

Mine did the same thing basically since I bought it. I fixed it by hooking up a REALLY loud sound system; now I turn up the volum, and I cant hear ANY rattles coming from my rig!!! :lol: :purple: :D

I guess eventually I will need to replace the cc... I just have not gotten around to it yet.

Felipe

Government mandated warranty for all OEM's to provide 8 yr/80k replacement of faulty cats. Had ours replaced on the Avalanche when one came apart internally. It made a terrible racket. No charge for parts or labor from Chevrolet.
Should be in the fine print of your owner's manual.

Thanks! I'll have to remember that if I ever buy a brand new vehicle.

You're past the federal 8yr/80k emissions warranty, so no help there..........

duh!!..........I knew someone would correct me. He said a 97 TJ........hmmmm this is 2008!!!!!!! Dang, it stinks gettin' old!!! My arithmetic needs some refreshing.................Thanks, Bounty!!!

Some of the 97-99 jeeps had a catalytic converter recall.

Dealership replaced mine on a 98 TJ at 105k miles for free.

Back