throw out bearing or trans help!!!

87jeepwrangler

i just got a jeep its a 87 jeep wrangler it has a 4 inch lift and i think 33's on it i have one problem if anyone can help me out with it my step dad say that the throw out bearing is bad on it and its making a weird sound im not there with the jeep its in west virginia im getting it in a week what would be one way to figure out if it is that bearing if u know please tell me i need some help thanks if u need to know anything just ask

They all suck. the crappy bearing they use til about 91' all go out or at the least get noisy. If it works still leave it alone. At least til they transmission blows up. It will too. that is the worst year yj, i should know i bought one too..LOL.

it's actually cheaper to buy clutch kit then to just buy the bearing. scince your in there replace the whole thing. but the bearing will start acting up within 10-15k. If you end up replacing the transmission make sure you get on with external slave cyl and a real throwout bearing and shift fork. think 91 or 93 newer.

thanks i will keep u guys informed in what happens in the next week or so thanks for the answers

I just replaced the T-out bearing in the Peaches CJ yesterday. The CJ is different than some of the yJ's. Easy to do, just took time. On the CJ model, leave the skid plate in-tack, remove the bolts (w/the proper jack supporting it) & slide everything back as a unit, works well & lines up quicker, also, leave the transmission in gear if U have to remove the shifter, help w/the spline line up.

I didn't want some T-out bearing from AZone/Advanced etc. cause they sell Mexico parts most of the time so I called 4WDH, they carry Temcon bearings :) . So w/that said, check around. Oh, if the flywheel isn't spider cracked, get a palm sander and go around it to scuff it/make it even so to speak, been doing mine like that for years w/no problem.

I changed my t-out bearing today and installed a new clutch kit. In the kit there was also a small bearing that went in the center of the fly like an alignment bearing. (I'm not sure the proper way to remove it but a chisel and a die grinder worked for me) I found it helpful to use a rachet strap around the rear axle to help pull the transmission. On the install I used some long skinny bolts with washers to suck it back into place. Took me most of the day but I'm not much of even a shadetree mech.

Back