Traded my cherokee for a cj5

flatie46

Well I am now the proud owner of a rusty and rough 1979 CJ5 with a 304 4speed. The previous owner had plans to part it out. It's probably not worth saving but I'm a sucker for project. I really wish I had brought my camera with me when I went to see it. I think the picture would have been priceless. It had set in this old barn for 2 years [ looked more like 20 ]and had so much dust and dirt on it you couldn't tell what color it was. The guy whipped out a battery and I was thinkin' There ain't no way this thing will crank. Poured some gas down the carb and after a hit or 2 it cranked and run like crap for awhile. We jumped in it and went down the road a piece and it got 2 running better. Went wheeling up the side of a ridge, he was driving it like he hated it. Then I drove it for a while off and on road. It impressed me, the engine didn't have any valve tick. It showed good oil press, didn't run hot even after being so hard on it. Now the body is pretty rusty and I'm gonna have to make the back 16" of the frame as it is rotted. Some [ maybe most ] would have passed on it but I think with a little time and some metal I can fix it. I'm not lookin' to make a nice one out of it, just one to beat around in. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, what's her name went to bed and I don't know myself how to load pics. Anyway, I'm happy with my new toy. Think I'll go have a cold beverage with it. Cya, Mark

Congrats! Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you,but you know "Jeep work is good work!";) Can't wait for the pics!

Here's the pic's don't know if I did this right or not.

Attachments

• jeep 1.jpg
    jeep 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 815
  • jeep 2.jpg
    jeep 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • jeep 3.jpg
    jeep 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 462
  • jeep 4.jpg
    jeep 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,500

Been busy today didn't get to work on it but I did take it to a carwash and washed the underside really good. The pics are before the washin'. The guy I got it from brought me all the extras that came with it. It was quite a pile of stuff. He gave me a hardtop, [I actually traded a shotgun for it] it's a little rough but will do just fine me. I also got a set of one piece axells, a bikini top, new set of headers, a back seat and console, a good windshield frame, a new battery. May drop the gas tank tomorrow and get started on the frame. I'm pretty happy with this thing, gottta get it whipped into shape. Driving it is addictive!

That thing looks GREAT!!! The body doesn't look too rough in the pics...The frame fix you talked about shouldn't be too bad(had the same rust on my frame when I bought it). And a pile of Jeep parts is always good to have!:D ENJOY!!

That thing looks GREAT!!! The body doesn't look too rough in the pics...The frame fix you talked about shouldn't be too bad(had the same rust on my frame when I bought it). And a pile of Jeep parts is always good to have!:D ENJOY!!
Thanks man, the pic's hiding alot but it's all fixable ( I think ). You can't quite pitch a cat thru it or anything but it's got lots of soft spots, rust bubbles and bondo. If I had to pay somebody to fix it, it would cost me a fortune. I think I can fix it well enough to suit me. I'm a maintenance man and I have to fix alot of lost causes at work, kinda used to it. Couldn't afford a nice Jeep and I didn't want a payment. Like I was telling a friend, the "P" in Jeep on the driver side is rusted bad. A poor boy like me can't afford a nice Jeep, all I could get was a JEE! :)

Seen worse. Keep throwing Bondo on it while you save up for a fiberglass body.

nice.. how about some details on the 68-72 chevy and what I think is a early 50's chevy 4 door in the background?

In my humble red neck opinion, the details of vechicles other than jeeps should be discussed in general chat or through a pm message. As far as throwing more bondo to a jeep, or a fiberglas body.I'd be against doing either,and replace what needs to be replaced with solid metal. Not unless ya just want it to look pretty and sell it.but thats just me,other then solid metal is kinda takeing some of the integrity away from jeep.

"Couldn't afford a nice Jeep and I didn't want a payment."

ALL Jeeps are nice Jeeps. Looks like you found a gem. I think it's really cool that there is still a place in this country where you can trade a shotgun for Jeep parts. That doesn't happen around here too often. Best of luck with the CJ - you've got yourself a classic. -John

nice.. how about some details on the 68-72 chevy and what I think is a early 50's chevy 4 door in the background?
The 70 Chevy truck, my uncle bought new. I've had it since 93, played in it as a kid it's like family. That's a 52 Plymouth 4dr, it's my sons. Flathead 6 runs like new, drives pretty good considering he's got it slammed. Got some other junk, I've got a 46 Plym bussiness coupe I like real well. Like the man said though, its about Jeeps here. As far as buying a fiberglass tub. I don't know, it's nice to have options. The guy I got it from had one there that had a good body no motor or trans. He priced it to me for $800. I didn't look at it real good or crawl under it but if it was as solid as it appeared that might be the route I'd go. One thing about the way mine is now. Next summer when it's pourin' rain and it's only got it's bikini top on it I won't be worried about it.
As far as trading goes, I know some people that you just wouldn't believe. They live to trade, they've always got some cool old stuff that they would sell but would much rather trade with you on a gun, old car or motorcycle. You know years ago that's how people got by. With the economy down I think it's becoming more popular. Check out the barter section on Craigslist. I've seen Jeeps and parts on there quite a bit. I want to thank everyone here for being so nice and helpful to me. There seems to be a positive atmosphere here. I like that!

The 70 Chevy truck, my uncle bought new. I've had it since 93, played in it as a kid it's like family. That's a 52 Plymouth 4dr, it's my sons. Flathead 6 runs like new, drives pretty good considering he's got it slammed. Got some other junk, I've got a 46 Plym bussiness coupe I like real well. Like the man said though, its about Jeeps here. As far as buying a fiberglass tub. I don't know, it's nice to have options. The guy I got it from had one there that had a good body no motor or trans. He priced it to me for $800. I didn't look at it real good or crawl under it but if it was as solid as it appeared that might be the route I'd go. One thing about the way mine is now. Next summer when it's pourin' rain and it's only got it's bikini top on it I won't be worried about it.
As far as trading goes, I know some people that you just wouldn't believe. They live to trade, they've always got some cool old stuff that they would sell but would much rather trade with you on a gun, old car or motorcycle. You know years ago that's how people got by. With the economy down I think it's becoming more popular. Check out the barter section on Craigslist. I've seen Jeeps and parts on there quite a bit. I want to thank everyone here for being so nice and helpful to me. There seems to be a positive atmosphere here. I like that!

Nice, that rear window screams chevy.. I've got a 41 plymouth Business mans coupe as well. ugly, slow, but fun to drive.

I must be missing something,thought this site was supposed to be about jeeps.

Dude, seriously who ****ed in your wheaties?

I appologize that I am not as single minded as you to think Jeep is the best and only vehicle ever made since the dawn of time.. I hope I haven't aggrevated you... nope thats just sand in your vagina

Even though this a Jeep forum, I for one enjoy and appreciate the older vehicles whether they are Jeep or not. It is nice to see TRUE American vehicles! Keep it up Johnny, nice lookin car.

Back