Transmission? Clutch? HELP!!

sicnik

My 93 YJ 4cyl, stopped working on the 4th, tell me what you think it is.

Brief history, about two years ago I was having problems shifting into first gear while stopped at a stop sign. I would have to either roll it forward and shift or put it into reverse then up into first. I changed the transmission fluid and put in Redline MT90 which seemed to take care of the problem, however over the last few months the problem returned.
On the 4th I came to a stop and when I went to put it into 1st it wouldn't go, in fact it wouldn't go into any gear with out fighting it. I finally got it into 3rd and drove it home. Now it sits in my drive waiting.... I have a clutch on order and another AX-5 to put in but I am not 100% sure the other tran is any better.

What do you think?

Nick

Another question, will an AX-5 out of an 88 YJ work in a 93 YJ? I would think there is no difference, but I usually get into trouble when I think..

Nick

Be sure to run Redline MT90 in the new transmission.

Your synchros were on the way out when you had your first problems with the last transmission, Redline simply bought you some time as it is the best stuff out there.

I put a used AX5 in my YJ, it had about 125k on it. I used Redline and haven't had a single shifting problem.

The '93 YJ is an oddball when it comes to clutches, so when you have both trannies out compare the two input shafts to make sure they're the same. They should be. The oddball '93 clutch probably has more to do with the flywheel.

When I say oddball, the '93 generally takes a different clutch than '94+ and '92 and older.

.........but I usually get into trouble when I think..

Nick

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I KNOW the feeling!!!

Not much to offer in the way of help...........I agree with Bounty (sounds like syncros are gone). Good luck - hope you get back on the road soon!

Thanks guys, I am in the process of dropping the transmission now, just taking a beer break. I bought Royal Purple this time, the redline I would have to order and take a week or so, I need this going before that. From what I gather the Royal Purple is comparable to MT90 we will see. well back to the grindstone......

Nick

OK I have hit road block, how do you remove the line that comes from the slave cylinder to the transmission? there is no nut to unscrew, it has a kind of clip that slides out of the connector but the connector does not come off the line going into the transmission. Is there a certain way this comes off? the Haynes does not go into a lot of detail.

I posted a pic below

Nick

Attachments

• CIMG1593.JPG
    CIMG1593.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Thanks for the info dingus I appreciate it. unfortunately it covers about as much as the haynes manual. I think I am going to have to drop the transmission first then disconnect the hose from inside the bell-housing.

Nick

OK I got the transmission off and there is no identifiable disconnect on the inside for that F'n hose, I am stuck!!! Theres got to be someone who has taken these off before, I will wait for your wisdom.

Thanks
Nick

OK I finally figured it out, so now I will stop my whining. I am sure I will have more questions though, this is my first time attempting something like this.

Nick

OK I finally figured it out, so now I will stop my whining. I am sure I will have more questions though, this is my first time attempting something like this.

Nick

So spill the beans! How did it come off?:???:

Well if I was an intelligent being I would have read the instructions that came with the clutch kit first, however I am not a patient person. There is a retaining pin that attaches the hose to the throw-out bearing or what ever it is called.... (excuse me I just finished off a bottle of JACK in celebration of getting the Transmission out), that pin was covered by a bunch of crud. After reading the instructions and finding the pin it was all a piece of cake.... now if I can get the clutch out and the new one in without screwing anything up all will be well...... crossing fingers : )

Nick

Last edited:
Here is the clutch as it came out of the jeep, as you can tell my problem was obviously in the clutch.

Attachments

• Clutch.JPG
    Clutch.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 116
Sicnic,

How much did the entire clutch change go for? My 94 YJ 2.5L is presenting some of the symptoms yours did at first, so I am thinking my clutch will go soon also; with a kid on the way, I better plan my finances with time for this one!

Felipe

I spent $130.00 on the clutch kit ( clutch plate, clutch cover, throwout bearing, etc...) Beer $50.00, bottle of JD $Free, Band-aids $2.00, I'm putting it in myself to save some $. if you do it yourself let me know there are some things about the kit you will need to know about, things I am finding out about the hard way.

Nick

I spent $130.00 on the clutch kit ( clutch plate, clutch cover, throwout bearing, etc...) Beer $50.00, bottle of JD $Free, Band-aids $2.00, I'm putting it in myself to save some $.

Where did you get the clutch kit? Any recommendations on Brand and such?

if you do it yourself let me know there are some things about the kit you will need to know about, things I am finding out about the hard way.

I am thinking about doing it (not in the very near future, but I think it will have to be done in less than a year), so if you could send me that info, it would be greatly appreciated!

Felipe

OK another problem, I went out and bought a Ft-lb torque wrench to torque the bolts on the clutch to the specified torque per the manual. however the manual does not give a specific torque for these bolts. The bolts are stamped 9.8 on the head which according to the manual are metric bolts, none of the metric sockets fit these bolts, 1/2 socket does fit though. So what should I set the torque wrench to to tighten these bolts down to the flywheel? I should have taken mechanics in high school..... : (

Thanks
Nick

Back