What is this? Help!!

90growler

I have recently been smelling something funny burning when I turn off the YJ. There is a reddish brown liquid being flung around where the rear shaft leaves the transfer case and it is getting everywhere (burning on muffler). What is this and what is wrong? How do I fix it? Should I be driving it?

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 273

That looks liek transmission fluid. All i can think of.

After further investigation, I am assuming that the rear seal from the X-fer case is leaking. Has anybody replaced this seal? Is it difficult? Any input?

not too bad to r/r that seal (check your manual) - pull the shaft, remove the old seal, tap in the new one - had to do it when i blew out a tailshaft on my old 91.... just takes patience - dont rush... and make sure you top off the xfer case (always open the fill b/4 the drain - nothing worse than draining your case and not being able to re-fill it...!) hope it helps!

Not too hard to change, takes some patience tapping in the new seal. Apply a little RTV where the seal slips into the tailcone.

I just looked at mine and it is not as bad but leaking some and was about to ask about the samething thanks.

Have you guys been playing in the water? Not changing fluids after going into water crossings will bring about leaks, and also damage to trannies, transfer cases, differentials...

You may not have but I thought it worth mentioning.

Something else worth mentioning. If the tcase is high mileage, it might be a good idea to take the rear cone off and replace the bushing in it also. I replaced the seal only to have it still leak. I replaced the worn bushing and the leak stopped. I think the bushing was allowing the slip yoke to wobble around just enough to make the rear seal leak.

The seal is a very easy thing to replace. Rip the old one out with whatever it takes to do so. I use a large screwdriver to stick in there an pry. Make sure the surface is clean before installing the new one. Most people say it takes patience but I've done so many, I've found that there are two rules:
1) Don't love it. You won't hurt it by hitting it within reason. Don't be afraid to smack it.
2) Put the new seal in the freezer for a half hour before doing it. It will contract the metal and make it fit easier. Just let it warm up before installing the driveshaft

lah2420 said:
Something else worth mentioning. If the tcase is high mileage, it might be a good idea to take the rear cone off and replace the bushing in it also. I replaced the seal only to have it still leak. I replaced the worn bushing and the leak stopped. I think the bushing was allowing the slip yoke to wobble around just enough to make the rear seal leak.

Anything else you reccomend. I got 148K and she's 16 years old.

Also there is a bushing inside the tail cone of the t-case as that wears out it can cause the seal to leak because the slip yoke is moving more than it should. I would suggest taking the tail cone off and finding somewhere or someone to put a new bushing in at the same time or the leak will come back.

Back