what to remove off-road

I thought I read it was best to remove the front track bar, so when I did my lift I did. It's been about 8 months and now I have a Pop sound turning tight corners, also noticed front axle moves left and right a bit before wheels turn left or right? Is this ok? Drives fine on highway... Or am I in a death trap? Btw 95 yj rough country 2.5 lift 1 1/4 body lift rolling 2.5l 411 gears on 235/75/15 for now...

I dont think there should be any side to side axle movement from leaf springs.

Take the back one off too. It's fine the axle shifts a bit, its the bushing shiftig and nothig can be done about it. automobiles ran leaf springs since they came out all the way till the 70s and 80s with no track bars and everyone did ok. The popping could be something as little as a spring mount bolt is loose but the only way to find out is to crawl under and retighten everything

I dont think there should be any side to side axle movement from leaf springs.
The steering pushes sideways on the axle. The slight play in the bushings and the length of the shackles allows the axle to shift sideways slightly before the steering actually turns the tires. A rear locker will exaggerate this effect. It's normal.

Oh yeah I know what you are saying. I have seen coil sprung rigs where when flexed out or at a steep side angle it looked like their axle was shifted further to one side than the other, almost looked like something was broke. Your talking about how when you turn the wheel back and fourth when sitting still, the slight side movement in the shackles before the wheels respond? Yeah, I would have to say it is normal.

Last edited:
That is one advantage of a spring over axle lift. the shackles can remain stock length and so the leverage flex is less. Of course, if you have lifted springs that can erase some of that benefit.

The shackles can stay stock length with any lift and should!

Back