Homemade Rock Rack

Jeeper99

Rock racks are storage racks that sit above your rear tire. this allows you to store camping supplies, coolers, or whatever you like safely out of the way, so that you can still hit the trails without dragging a carrier along behind you.

Well, I had been wanting a rear rack for the back of my Jeep for coolers, straps, and whatever else I needed the room for. I didn't have the money to blow on one out of the mags or off the internet, so I decided to build one myself. I really don't have any specs at all as I just started peicing scrap metal for what I wanted.

056_jeep_rock_rack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Piecing together the rack

A buddy of mine gave me some steel of various sizes that he didn't need. The majority of it went to a trailer I built for my 4 wheeler. I used part of the rest for a Rock Rack.

The 1" tubing came in handy and was just what I needed to start building.

Attachments

• 002_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    002_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,798
  • 003_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    003_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,756
  • 008_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    008_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,211
Last edited by a moderator:
Laying out the new rack

I cut some peices for the dimensions I wanted and built the bottom frame. I made the center braces to where they would lay flat on top of my spare tire. Then cut out 3" long supports for the upper part of the rack. and started welding them in.

Attachments

• 010_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    010_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • 015_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    015_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,365
  • 017_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    017_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,167
Rock Rack is coming together

After I had the main frame, I used some of the 1" flat steel to make a bottom. I then built my supports and layed out the mounting arms.

Attachments

• 022_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    022_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 029-1_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    029-1_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 7,059
  • 031_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    031_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,028

Rock Rack mounting tabs

I had a small peice of flat plate that I used to cut out tabs, Bend, and drill holes for mounting points.

Attachments

• 033_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    033_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,291
Painting the rack

I welded the tabs onto the ends of the mounting arms, primed with several coats and then rattle canned black. All in all, I thought it turned out pretty good considering It didn't cost me anything and I made it myself.

Attachments

• 048_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    048_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 050_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    050_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,611
Finished Jeep Rock Rack

And the finished product

Attachments

• 053_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    053_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 19,794
  • 056_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    056_jeep_rock_rack.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 34,343
Good job!

Where did you attach it to? It seems that there's only two mounting points/tabs.

Does the spare tire carry any of the weight? In other words what keeps it from tipping back?

Thanks Guys!

I attatched it to the main tire carrier which holds part of the weight and yes, it lays flat along the top of the spare for strength and support too. One of the main reasons I made the mounting tabs in behind the spare is to help detour theives. You would have to get the spare off, then get in there and try to get the bolts loose inside the tire carrier.

Thanks Guys!

I attatched it to the main tire carrier which holds part of the weight and yes, it lays flat along the top of the spare for strength and support too. One of the main reasons I made the mounting tabs in behind the spare is to help detour theives. You would have to get the spare off, then get in there and try to get the bolts loose inside the tire carrier.

OK I see it now, good idea on making it harder to remove for the clepto's!

So the whole thing opens with the tailgate, That's not a bad idea!

I already have a hitch mounted rack like you see on the road, with three ice chests on it. Only I made my own years ago & it can haul a complete small block mopar engine. I moved my spare mount from the T-gate down to it. Still have room for a cooler on each side of the spare, & three bolts hold the tire mount to the rack if i need the whole rack for something.

I'm interested in follow up.

The concern that I have is pretty simple - the rear door hinges can carry only so much and that's also an added stress on the lock mechanism. How are they doing so far? I can see how it can be easily done with custom bumper application where weight of the tire is relocated onto the bumper but the case where both of them are hanging on the door kind of makes me wonder how long for.

Thanks in advance :) Great write-up

Last edited:

good looking rack ,yep i was thinking the same ,stress on the locks etc

Pretty damn sweet... that would be super marketable with added run/brake lights to account for the gear that would block the stock cyclops light.
I'd buy it for sure!

Great job!

Back