front end noise

Brian1954

Hello all! I have a 99 grand cherokee laredo with quadratrac and have a strange noise in the front end that only happens when you turn the wheel in either direction. The best way to describe the noise is like if you have oversized tires and the rub the fender wells. I have stock tires and stock lift. Hope anyone can help before I change the drive axles. Thanks

Check the u-joints and the differential. The spider gears in the differential will only make a noise during a turn.

being that bits a quadratrac and that is a hydraulically actuated limted slip/ torque biasing differential front and rear fluid level and condition is critical. when i worked at the dealership i saw this problem quite often. usually it can be remedied by changing the diff. fluid. remember to add friction modifier. while the cover is off the differential. check the pump pickup for blockage. it is located on the near the ring gear. hopefully this works for you. these types of differentials are not cheap to rebuild. nor are parts east to come by.

Back