New here...disconnected antenna? '94

Abutterfly

Hi. I am new to this site and my hubby has a 94 Cherokee with no reception at all on the stereo.. we believe the antenna itself is disconnected? How do we get to that? Take the dash off ? I can't stand the silence anymore!! If anyone has ever had this happen, please let me know what is the quickest fix. Thanks. You know men, they know everything, that is why I thought I would come on here and see if anyone else has tackled this, so I don't have to spend a Saturday listening to him cussing out in the yard! ;) Thanks.

Abutterfly said:
Hi. I am new to this site and my hubby has a 94 Cherokee with no reception at all on the stereo.. we believe the antenna itself is disconnected? How do we get to that? Take the dash off ? I can't stand the silence anymore!! If anyone has ever had this happen, please let me know what is the quickest fix. Thanks. You know men, they know everything, that is why I thought I would come on here and see if anyone else has tackled this, so I don't have to spend a Saturday listening to him cussing out in the yard! ;) Thanks.

First things first: Welcome to our little place on the net.:p

The antenna just plugs into the back of the radio and is held in by friction. No clips or screws, it just pushes in and usually stays. While I have never had an antenna unplug, I could see how it could happen. The bad thing is, unless your a superheroine with stretchy plastic arms I don't see how you can reach the back of the stereo to feel if it is unplugged. The dash panel that goes all around the guages and over past the steering wheel is one whole piece and can be delicate to get out without breaking it, but it must come out in order to remove the screws that keep the stereo in place, then you can pull out the stereo and check the plug.

If you are still ready to tackle the job, some of us can walk you thru it.

Good luck;)

I have a 96 XJ with the same problem, no radio reception. I pulled my radio and, to my dismay, the antenna was still connected. I have not got around to tracing the rest of it, but I think there may be a problem with the OTHER end of the antenna in some XJ's.

I've got a 1992 and had the same problem. Now Heres what I did, which i dono if mine was a hack job or what, but my attenna wire, have two connections, one to the radio, and one that is on the passenger side a-pillar that is behind the plastic going up to the dashboad, right next to the floorboard. Any who, mine was on the floor and after all the years of water and what not it was corroded. I took the connection apart and cleaned it. BTW it is the same plug that is used to go into the back of the radio, just a make and a female end together.

Never heard of that one yet. That is interesting to say the least.
Abutterfly, have you got around to looking at yours yet?

pinaplebob said:
I've got a 1992 and had the same problem. Now Heres what I did, which i dono if mine was a hack job or what, but my attenna wire, have two connections, one to the radio, and one that is on the passenger side a-pillar that is behind the plastic going up to the dashboad, right next to the floorboard. Any who, mine was on the floor and after all the years of water and what not it was corroded. I took the connection apart and cleaned it. BTW it is the same plug that is used to go into the back of the radio, just a make and a female end together.

Bingo, don't rip your dash all apart. There is a connection down to the right of the front passengers foot. Like two or three screws to remove for easy access. Mine had a spring inside of it that would push the two halfs apart, I removed the spring and all is good!

Is it located where it could get kicked with your foot?
I'm gonna go look at mine.
Good info.

Yes it's right where you can kick it. So i guess mines not a hack job. The only way I found it was after removing my attenna mount to see my wire hadn't worn away from the antenna. I Dropped the base inside the finder, and was forced to take apart that plastic. BTW if that ever happends, welding rods work good to fish it out. (The antenna)

Hope it works for you.

Back