roof mounted tire carrier plans?

LGR

Anyone have a home made tire carrier for an XJ? I'm looking for somthing to mount the tire up on the roof with the factory roof rack. I don't mind doing a little work..but i don't want to spend 400+ on a cage for the top. Anyone got pictures or plans of one?

I'll tell you this much... Ratchet-strapping, redundant chaining, and roping the hell out of it to the luggage rack, to make sure that 4 sets of harness would have to break for that tire to go loose, will hold it more than fine on the freeway heading up north. The minute you wheel with it up there, though, it will shift and dangle off to the side...

Besides that, no, and I am most interested as well...

I found no solid, safe solution when I searched for one for my XJ. Ended up buying a used Garvin Rack and bought the new tire mount for it.

TO be honest I didn't care for havint it up there. The higher center of gravity was noticeable, especially on long, banked turns on the highway. It was an absolute PITA getting the tire in and out of that mount, too.

I ended up using the small ratchet straps to secure it in tight in the cargo area, using the metal tabs on the floor to catch them off.

A swing-away tire carrier on a rear bumper is the best way to go.

If you are looking for a tire carrier for youre XJ go to www.rockratz.com you can get a roof mounted tire carrier for $150.49 and you can get either O.E.M.
roof mount option or the gutter mount option. I bought one for my wifes XJ two years ago. Its great! Hope this helps.

Droopey

NIce. Looks real good, and a whole hell of alot cheaper than a rear bumper carrier.

Back