My XJ's terrible shake, HELP PLEASE!

bubsbeast

I have a lifted (4.5in, 33's) XJ and it drives great down the road with no death wobble, But when I hit even the smallest of bumps going above 30mph, The whole front end shakes uncontrollably until I slow down (No Fun). It's really bad, especially in traffic, If anyone knows what this is and what/how to fix this problem, I'd really appreciate it, thanks

Death wobble. check for loose steering and suspension components, wheel balance and alignment.

check your track bar. i have a xj with 9" of lift drives great. but after a good hard wheeling trip the bolts that hold the track bar mount to the frame loosen just a little and i start to get some death wobble

I have a lifted (4.5in, 33's) XJ and it drives great down the road with no death wobble
It is Death Wobble. Most commonly a loose or worn out front track bar. Other causes are worn suspension components like control arm bushings, etc. Search this forum for 'Death Wobble' and you will find a lot of info.

Here's a fairly comprehensive checklist we wrote years ago, which has helped hundreds cure their DW.

kevinsoffroad dot com/techarticles.html (I'm still a newbie, so cannot post links)

Death Wobble sucks...wouldn't wish it on anyone! I had it once at 70mph on the freeway, and nearly got rear-ended by a loaded semi, which came about 1' from plowing into me. Not fun.

KevinF

Check list:
1. shocks are they tight
2. all steering joints
3. are wheels balanced
4. tire pressure
5. bent rim
6. alignment
7. check to see if rotors are warped
8. stabilizer shock
9. steering box
10. drink a beer