Brake trouble with 87 jeep wagoneer...please help

bigtex

I have an 87 Jeep Wagoneer(looks like a cherokee). I checked the brake pads and they looked fine, but recently I had to start pushing all the way down on the brake pads to get the jeep to stop.

It feels as though the jeep will not stop half the time and i have to pump the brakes to get pressure. I have a steep driveway and when go backwards in the morning down it before it's been driven that day, the jeep won't stop till I get to flat ground.

Could this be the master cylinder or perhaps just air in the brake lines? Has anyone else had this issue. I know I do not have anti-lock brakes, but other than that I have no specific info on the brakes. Thanks for your help!

Based on your description of symptoms, I would further investigate fluid related possibilities... How long have you had this jeep? Have you recently added fluid? If so, what kind & how often?
Easiest place to start might be to just flush your system and start fresh.... If that doesn't correct the problem , then at least you have ruled out quite a few possibilities with one action...

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Based on your description of symptoms, I would further investigate fluid related possibilities... How long have you had this jeep? Have you recently added fluid? If so, what kind & how often?
Easiest place to start might be to just flush your system and start fresh.... If that doesn't correct the problem , then at least you have ruled out quite a few possibilities with one action...

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Thank you for your help...I have owned this jeep for about a year. Bought from a guy who was meticulous about care and upkeep but it was garage kept(started 2 a month). It just now has 83k miles. How do I flush the fluid?

If you bleed the brakes (which I recommend a vacuum pump..makes it a lot easier lol) and the problem still persists check your rear drum brakes. I had the same problem and come to find out my rear drum brakes were shot. Fixed them and my pedal was stiff again lol

So this is my 2 cents... my 72 valliant had very similar issues and it was air in the lines. Its a pain to get completely bled but when its done your sure to have a good understanding of the whole system.

ALSO check each wheel cylinder, if any are worn or have leaked they'll need fixing , by replacement or honing. And DON'T press the brakes if a drum is off.

So this is my 2 cents... my 72 valliant had very similar issues and it was air in the lines. Its a pain to get completely bled but when its done your sure to have a good understanding of the whole system.

ALSO check each wheel cylinder, if any are worn or have leaked they'll need fixing , by replacement or honing. And DON'T press the brakes if a drum is off.

Back