being a total newbie here!!!

randomjeeper

alrightie, i'm ashamed to be writing this post, but i figured i'd ask. i parked my 94 grand cherokee and heard some noises coming from the back. so i got down under the ground and just looked around. after thinking the noise was from my gas tank, i just decided to check out the rest of the car quickly. (okay newbieness coming up :-( ) anyways, i'm guessing i was looking the shocks? but the "sleeve" of the one was cracked and rusted and falling apart ~ i almost peeled a piece off, but decided not to plus it was too cold to be outside any more. i never really noticed a problem while driving (and this has nothing to do with the noise). but i was just wondering what exactly i was looking at (an almost vertical rod/shaft thing). so i looked at the other one (near the other wheel) and the other one looks fine. any advice (and what woulda happened for it to get this way?) thanks, its greatly appreciated :) [addsig]

Sounds like you may be looking at your shocks and they can be rusting away and my advice is to go to you local auto repair shop and ask were they can see what you are talking about. Should be a reasonably ez repair. Good Luck. Tug[addsig]

so wait... was the metal on the shocks peeling off? or just the paint? i've never heard of shocks just peeling apart like that... i'd betchya its just the paint...

but, like everyone else said, have it looked at if you're not sure.[addsig]

yeah if its a gas shock and the sleeve was broken you would definitely be able to tell that something is wrong. Have you noticed any problems in suspension performance? What kind of noices were you hearing. How long did they last for?[addsig]

Icyfridge youre xj is mint looking! Could you post that picture again? Thanks ! Also were did you get the hood? Steve.. I own a 1990 xj stock but i would love it to be look like your xj,s style...That thing is mean lookin!!! :-O [addsig]

i haven't gotten a chance to get down under it for more than a minute (last time i looked at it, it was after a 2 hour track practice in the cold rain/snow, so i just wanted to go inside ~it just looked really bad compared to all the other ones). i usually have the music on while driving, so i dont' notice any noises, but i did hear a ticking....it sounded like it was coming from the back somewhere, but it disappears randomly and reappears, so who knows how long thats been going on, doesn't seem too major? hopefully over the weekend or something when i get spare time (haha, or the end of the semester ~ j/k!) i'll "peel" off what ever it is and i'll let you know what happens/or what it looks like. thanks again for the insight!! :) [addsig]

if you're gonna replace that one bad shock, you should replace all 4... or at least both on the same axle... new shocks + old shocks = tricky handling situations... i wouldn't wanna deal with that...[addsig]

That noise you hear after you park and shut down your jeep is probably the gas swishing around amongst the baffles in the gas tank... usually only happens when its near full and can go on for quite a little while after you're stopped.[addsig]

its definitely not just paint, its thin metal...looks like i'm going to have to invest some money into this. any idea how much this should cost? or how long it would take to repair?
FLpilot ~ that sounds right, i filled the tank earlier that day :p [addsig]

Back