Cambus issues 2006 Laredo

made a bad decision to let a cheap company fit a towbar and socket to my 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 petrol. They just twisted the wires for the socket to my rear lights. First the brake lights stopped working, then one indicator, now the indicator lights come on with the brake lights. I was told the Jeep has a Cambus system and a module may be damaged. Where would the module be located, and how can i fix this problem. Thanks.

That sounds like the ground line they twisted lost connection. Now the brake is finding a ground path through the other bulb.

There are some nice clip in wiring looms. See here.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

Will post back with CAN-bus info. The CAN-bus was not mandatory until 2008. If you have a CAN-bus you would get errors that state issues in the lighting system. To test unplug a headlight and turn the key to the on position. If you have it you eill see a error for that light.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
That sounds like the ground line they twisted lost connection. Now the brake is finding a ground path through the other bulb.

There are some nice clip in wiring looms. See here.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

Will post back with CAN-bus info. The CAN-bus was not mandatory until 2008. If you have a CAN-bus you would get errors that state issues in the lighting system. To test unplug a headlight and turn the key to the on position. If you have it you eill see a error for that light.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
Thanks for that, i am in Spain and the jeep looks like an import, so the connectors have been cut off, my new rear lights have a 5 pin plug so maybe just fit spades to connect....local jeep dealer is hopeless, i paid 200 for a diagnostic and they said brake light switch is bad, and its not,

So...my electrical guy came and recons the turn lights come on with the brakes is because Jeep is a US or Canadian import where they would both be red, here in Spain turns are yellow...so...he plans to fit 2 relays and run wires from the front turns to the rear ones...i can see that working...i dont think i have can bus...

OK its fixed...i dont have cambus...US or Canadian import apparently its normal for both turn signal lights to come on with brake lights...as they were both red....in Europe indicators are orange...so my guy added 2 relays and took the signals from the front turn lights...had to add a dummy load as were flashing too fast...now my trailer lights work good as well...replacing the SIM module on the EVAP system didnt fix the Small Leak check engine light so thats ongoing...Cherokee is a brill smooth running SUV...

Back