Liberty Stalling, Speedometer, & Rough Idle/Shifting Pro

jejjowens

Stalling - I have a 2002 Liberty Limited. I bought it in December 2001 and started having problems with it in Feb. 2002. It would stall after the idle would start running high, about 1500+ RPM. It started stalling in parking lots when you would put it in reverse. Then it progressed to stalling when going into drive or reverse in my driveway, but we would always be at a stop. Then it progressed to where it would stall when you were coasting into a parking spot or backing up in the driveway. Then it progressed to stalling in a traffic jam while coasting (which happened within the past month). This problem has happened when it was cold (below 50 degrees) and when it was hot (above 74 degrees). It has been to the Jeep dealer about 6 times and they have yet to replace anything. They are unable to replicate the problem, because it is intermittent. They gave us a "Co-Pilot" to drive around with and get pictures with when it would stall, but the thing didn't take any pictures when it did stall. I have read on a few sites that people are having the same problem we have, but so far no one in the Denver area has experienced this. If you have any ideas on what to do, please e-mail me jejjowens@yahoo.com

Speedometer - The speedometer seems to work due to weight on the wheels. I say this because...if we hit a dip in the road, our speedometer will jump from the current speed to a lower speed. For example...traveling on a highway at 70 mph we hit a dip and the speed went from 70 mph to about 50mph and would slowly try to get back up to 70. It jitters back and forth. The other day we were driving home after shopping and had some considerable weight in the back (about 90lbs) and we didn't know how fast we were going for the entire 15 mile trip home. The speed went from 70 to 40 to 80 to 50 etc. The WHOLE way home.

Rough Idle/Shifting - Sometimes the idle will kick up to about 1500-2000 RPM and just sit there. You can pump the gas to try and get it down, and sometimes it will still just stay high. When you shift gears while the idle is high, it shifts so rough that you actually might get whip lash. It used to be when the A/C was on (which our dealership said was due to power draw) and it has recently happened when the A/C was off. It lunges forward when the idle is high and you shift, along with having a clicking sound in the gears.

If you have any ideas on how to solve these problems, or if you have heard of them before please drop me a line (jejjowens@yahoo.com). We have a 5 star dealer and so far it seems they don't really care. I have an older Jeep that I really love and it is really starting to bother me that I can like this Liberty the same way. It seems this Liberty has been nothing but problems so far. My wife absolutely loved this car before it came on the market, and she is even starting to get discouraged with it. Any help I can get would be appreciated. If you read something about these problems in the past, please feel free to e-mail the link to me (jejjowens@yahoo.com).

Thanks in advance,

James Owens

jejjowens@yahoo.com
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Check into the Lemon Laws in your area and see if that will help put some leverage on getting it fixed. See if your Auto Insurance covers a rental in the event of a repair, if it does go to the dealership drop it off and have them drive it around for a day or two. If they can't fix it, make sure it is documented that they don't know what the problem is and they don't know how it fix it.

When you're at the dealer ask for the Sales manager and the Garage managers and get thier bosses names and number. If they refuse to fix the problem or rerplace the vehicle, try real hard to make thiers lives uncomfortable. Send emails up the chain of command, and demand satisfaction. If they give you grief be sure to file a complaint with the Better Business Burea.

Sorry to hear about your problem, hope it is taken care of quickly.[addsig]

LOT OF THE PROBLEMS YOU ARE HAVING ALL SEEM TO HAVE A COMMEN SOURCE I WORK ON JEEPS AND I ALSO HAD A PROBLEM KIND OF LIKE THIS IT WAS THE POWER CONTROL MODULE GOOD LUCK[addsig]

I have a 2002. Yesterday while on the way from NYC to CT i pushed the cruise control button. All hell broke loose, the speedometer stoped, the thing started to stall and it seems that all the problems where related. The engine light also came on.
I ll get back to you when i get it diagnoised in the morning.

not sure if your engine even has one but what about an Idle air control that would explain the crazy idle should be right below you throttle linkage on the other side of your throttle position switch. Also even though your not getting a check engine light I know here in Va auto zone offers free diagnostics you can go there and use a hand held scanner and see if it has anycodes stored in the computer.

Back