loose exhust

pinaplebob

I've got a 92 xj and my exhust hits the floor board after every bump that i hit. I was able to get it to the dealership for a differnt reason and they told me it's the hanger above the cat. I've looked at it and it is a really really goofy looking one that goes into a rubber block off of the pipe. (it's hard to explain.) They say that I have to buy a new cat to fix it. And as you can tell I don't have that sort of money. So i was wondering has anyone ran accross this problem. Or anyone have any sort of Idea how I can rig it up.

Thanks

if you know someone who can weld, have them fix it....

i had a similar problem... although not exactly in the same location of the exhaust system (mine was rattling against the gas tank shield...). i would suggest checking along the frame near the exhaust pipe for any possible mounting points for an entirely new hanger. there might even be some predrilled (and threaded) holes that you could use to mount one. if not... drill a hole in the frame and make your own custom mounting point. there are a variety of hangars available... so you're bound to find one that would fit your application. i would NOT recommend welding (unless its a really really good job). i had mine welded the first two times... but the weld kept breaking because the exhaust system goes through quit a bit of stress.

Man I hate dealerships! Have to have a new cat in deed. Yuo can add or take away hangers all up and down the length of the exaust system. Find yourself a good ol mom and pop garage that does a bit of exaust work and ask them to help you out a bit, Tug

THE HANGER IS WELDED TO THE CAT.YOU CAN SIMPLY GO TO A EXHAST SHOP TO HAVE A HANGER PUT ON.DEALER JUST WANTS MORE MONEY IS ALL

Back